Help! Mysterious Leaky SYE Housing.

• Okay so its not so mysterious, but I installed an Advance Adapters SYE kit and Tom Wood's Driveshaft this past weekend and everything seemed to go very smoothly.
    Well I filled the T-case up and took it for a test drive, everything went fine no leaks and shifted through all positions easily.
    I was worried I might not have enough fluid in the case because I had the front jacked up when I filled so I went back underneath and pulled the fill plug again.
    Low and behold it seemed like the fluid was well below the fill hole so I topped it off up to the bottom of the hole.
    I drove to work this morning and took a look underneath when I arrived and their was ATF dripping off the case that appeared to be coming from the speedometer housing.
    So I am wondering if I overfilled the case or if there is just a bad seal where the speedometer housing goes into the Advance adapters Tail housing?
    It also seemed like the tail housing wasn't machined properly when I reinstalled the speedo housing because it didn't really seem to seat properly in the tail housing.
    Anyone else have this problem or a leaky Advance Adapters SYE?
    How filled should the NP231 T-case be?

Thanks,
    Steve

• You know, I know that I ripped a tiny chunk off the o-ring when I removed it I just didn't think that would affect the seal that much but if this a common thing then that has to be it.
    I think I will also try to put a little more Blue Silicon RTV on the seal as well as the AA instructions suggested. First time around I put a little but I don't think it was effective.
    Thanks for the heads up on the O-ring should have thought of that first, usually the most common reason for a problem is the likely one.

I assume you mean Sears hardware has the O-Rings? Would I find them in the hardware section, automotive or plumbing do you think?

• Did you lift your XJ ? If so you need to get out on some trails with us.

As far as over fillin gos, I just fill it up and let it drain till it comes to a drip and put the plug in.

• Yeah, I had it lifted 2 inches, and just put another 1inch of shackle and spacer lift so it was time to add the SYE.
    I am gonna swap the speedo gear with the correct one for 31s and 3.55s now since I just read the "Truspeed" post and replace that O-ring and I should be good to go.
    I would like to do some light trails soon, no mud, no rocks, I have learned that they both break things too easily and I don't have a fat enough wallet or another vehicle to handle that right now.

• Yeah, yeah, ha, ha very funny!! Let me clarify, no deep mud and no rock crawling.
    I've only got one vehicle, a nice looking, good running XJ so body and engine damage are not my type of fun.

Actually I like long drives down dusty tree lined....driveways, hahaha!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!