Used Wrangler purchase...things to look for

• My first DEJA post! Have never owned a Wrangler, but am looking hard to purchase a used one. Could use a little help...Is there a certain model year where there were significant improvements and changes? Am not a backyard mechanic and have no intentions of tearing a motor apart. This will be a second "hobby" vehicle for me, I just want a relatively trouble-free experience. (Won't be crawlin' any rocks any time soon.) For example, when did EFI replace carbs on the motors? Also, should I stay away from the 4 cylinder motor? The auto transmission? Inquiring minds want to know! Your advice is appreciated. Thanks millions.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Your budget numbers may help us answer your questions better.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• A lot of people swap 4 cylinders out for 6 cylinders, usually after they've lifted them and put bigger tires on. I'd look for a '93 and up Wrangler with a 4.0 L HO engine. You should be able to find one for a few thousand.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• the 4 banger is slow i have one and wish for a little more, but at the same time i have been very happy with my jeep.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Budget numbers? I guess I left that out of my post, didn't I. I'm thinking $6,000 to $8000, depending on how it's equipped. I've got one Wrangler in my back pocket and am looking to do better....my friend will sell me his 1997, 2.5 liter 4 cyl with 97000 miles for $6,000. It has a Bestop soft top, but otherwise is pretty basic. He let me drive it for a day yesterday, and I discovered a fairly slow oil leak, which I'm told is common in Wranglers. Since I'm not a mechanic, a solid engine is important. My hope is to jack the sucker up 4" with a suspension lift, because just like you I want to look cool as a go to Walmart. Should have said all that in my initial post...sorry about that!

• just so you know i bought my 98 2.5 L 4 cyl with 72 on it for 7 grand 4 years ago. i would not pay more than 5 for it.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Try to stay away from a jeep that is already lifted .
    Not knowing how it was built or by who might be worrisum (sp)
    Not to mention having to fix all the mistake take time out from enjoying it .
    8K budget will get a sweet ride .
    Def get a 6cyl 4.0 .
    Stick or auto is up to you .

Make sure you inspect the body mounts and the surronding tub area .
    6cyl are pretty much built proof so miles shouldnt be an issue .
    Three wranglers I have owned , 84cj7 , 97 and one 03 all made it over 150k miles with no real problems
    Well my 03 has around 138xxx on it right now and I havent had to do anything but put a clutch in it @ 100k miles

My hope is to jack the sucker up 4" with a suspension lift, because just like you I want to look cool as a go to Walmart.

If thats all you want thats cool , but why bother asking for opinions ?

• Well, your opinions very much matter to me. Just in the few replies I've read so far I've learned a lot. Apparently, I'd do well to lean toward the 6 cylinder for a high mileage used Wrangler, even if I'll get beat up at the gas pump. (Fortunately, I don't plan on this being my daily driver.) And I guess I'm not getting the deal I hoped for with my friend's 97 for $6000. I wouldn't have known that without your input.

Just today I've found two 1998 Wranglers on Craiglist that really interest me. If anyone has the time and interest....one in Bear listed for $8000 (posting #446563741, and one in Manassas listed for $7400 (posting #471750170)...I'd like to hear from you DEJA folks with your gut feelings about those posts.

And I suppose I'll do more with the Wrangler than cruise to Walmart. Conquering rocks and trails is cool -- that could be me one day.

• I don't know about you guys, but I get the same gas mileage with my 6 cylinder as I did with the 4. Either way I look at it, gas prices will continue to rise. I've owned both and each one has its perks. but if your doing it for looks then go with a 4cylinder to get it cheap..just stay the heck out of my way on I-95.....and rt.1 ;D

• my .02

get a 4.0 liter 93 and later
    auto/stick is your preference
    93-95 still has leaf springs/square headlights...rougher than a TJ but can be found pretty cheap.

for 6000-8000 you should be able to get a decent condition TJ (97-2000+) i would limit my search for that price range to 85,000 miles
    look underneath at the tranny skid plate, gas tank skid plate, and lower control arm brackets (on a TJ).....this is where you will find the majority of off road damage and signs of abuse. the market right now seems flooded with YJ's you can get a nice jeep cheap (picked my 93 YJ up for 1500 bucks)
    TJ's are holding value because of the new model year/style change. look at private sellers for the better deal. stealerships are making a killing on TJ's

• I might sell you mine for a bit more. Probably looking at 12K but I guarantee you its a VERY capable jeep and well worth every penny. 2000 TJ 6 cyl auto with 54K on the clock. (Maybe less I can't remember) More mods then I care to list. 4.5" lift with 1.25" BL and everything else to make it trail worth. Even looks good too.

Let me know if your even interested and I'll email you exact specs and price.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Good advice right there .

Just today I've found two 1998 Wranglers on Craiglist that really interest me. If anyone has the time and interest....one in Bear listed for $8000 (posting #446563741, and one in Manassas listed for $7400 (posting #471750170)...I'd like to hear from you DEJA folks with your gut feelings about those posts.

The one in Bear seems high to me @ 8k but the seller didnt list the lift installed if any .
    Hard to tell in the pics but there might be a budget boost on it with no body lift
    Might want to find out if his price includes both tops or just the hard top

I couldnt find the one listed in Manassas .

• Regarding the Bear 98 Wrangler, you're right...he did not list the lift. But he said in an email that it is a Skyjacker 2" lift. And yes, he said he'd throw in the soft top. Thanks for your input. Maybe I can get him down on the price a bit. It seems like a well cared for unit all around, but who really knows for sure.

By the way, what the heck is a "locking converter?" The owner describes his Jeep as an auto 3 speed, which he says sometimes people call a 4 speed because of the locking converter. Sorry to be ignorant...is this important?

• By the way, what the heck is a "locking converter?" The owner describes his Jeep as an auto 3 speed, which he says sometimes people call a 4 speed because of the locking converter. Sorry to be ignorant...is this important?

A locking torque converter (or lockup depending on who you ask) mechanically locks the output of the engine to the input of the transmission to eliminate slippage which increases gas mileage, lowers tranny temp, etc, etc. Most modern light/medium duty automatics have this feature. Many people think that it's the tranny shifting as it will usually decrease the rpms and produce a similar 'feel' as another gear. This is in no way a substitute for a true 4spd (or more) overdrive auto tranny as it still only has a 1:1 ratio in 3rd but it does help. Most people I know that have built Jeeps w/ 3spd autos have stuck with ~4.10's even with 36-37" tires to maintain a tolerable RPM on the highway and simply depend on the slippage of the torque converter on the trail to make up for the steeper gears.

--Ian

• No ones calling a 3 speed with a lockup converter a 4 speed auto. Auto's have had lockup converters since probably the late 70's, they are the norm.

The newer TJ's ('03+) have a true 4 speed auto which is superior to the 3 speed in both performance and gas milage.

• Sounds to me, then, like I need to look for a 5 speed manual tranny if I want decent gas economy. I'm not sure I'll be happy with a 3 speed auto. All of the postings/replies to this forum discussion have really made me rethink things.

• I have an '02 TJ X 5 speed and even lifted and bigger tires I'm doing better on gas than I did in my '01 extended cab Silverado.
    I was lucky enough to get it off the lot after lease turn in, I doubt it had ever seen mud before I got it. The look on the salesguys face was great when I laid on the ground under it to look at the skid plates.

• looking at some of the posts about the YJ's i see that you guys are suggesting 93 and up. i know 2 people with a 91 and the motor is EFI not carbed. out of curiosity whats the reason for 93 and up, i thought that the 4.2's last year was 1990 and the EFI 4.0 was introduced in 1991 :shrug:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!