Used Wrangler purchase...things to look for

• Next thing to do is ... when you find one you like either a TJ or a YJ .

Post it up and see if someone in the area can maybe go look at it for you or with you .

Keep looking and you will find on with better mileage than the one on Craigslists .
    Just be patient

• i would agree.. get what you want... know that yj's are older and DO demand alot more work and money to keep them on the road... but tj's need work too... also take into effect the costs of you lift... a yj 3.5 superlift that i have cost 600.00 a 4in skyjacker short arm kit on my friends 03 tj was 1400.00 installed... i love my 92 but i will in the future buy a tj... but i will admit cj and yj jeeps look the part as the simple rugged jeep... not saying tj's and jk's are not jeeps.... ps i dont like the jk too much

generally tj stuff is more expesnsive but that becasue the systems are more complex because techonolgy allways changes... i know that if my 4cy was not fuel injected i would get 4mpg... FI makes the difference.. ps gears and tires make a big difference with MPG

this is a bad ass cj for 7000, i would buy it if i had the money, its a classic

http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=16504.0

• Yankee19934, you're right...that's a pretty cool CJ for sale. If I were a little more comfortable with my Jeep knowledge and mechanical skills, that might be the one for me. In the meantime, all you guys please keep me in mind as you see Wranglers for sale that seem to fit my candy*ss profile.

The guy with the 98 Wrangler in Bear will meet me at the Ches-Del diner on Rt 13 to show me his vehicle. We just haven't set a time. (I'm in Magnolia, by the way.) Anyone interested in meeting, assessing his Jeep, and perhaps having breakfast?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Please take it to a mechanic and have the engine pressure tested. I bought a 2000 TJ with 100K, I wasn't worried b/c it was the bullet proof 4.0 L six. After it warmed up I lost all oil pressure. The head had a crack in it and antifreeze leaked in and washed the oil from the internal engine parts (crankshaft bearings) which caused unusual wear. I had to drop a newer used 4.0 L in it. From what I have read this is pretty uncommon, but it does happen. So please take any jeep you are interested to a mechanic and make sure he runs a pressure test on the engine. The first guy I took this too assumed the oil pressure sensor was bad and he didn't test any further.

That is a nice CJ.

• Please take it to a mechanic and have the engine pressure tested. I bought a 2000 TJ with 100K, I wasn't worried b/c it was the bullet proof 4.0 L six. After it warmed up I lost all oil pressure. The head had a crack in it and antifreeze leaked in and washed the oil from the internal engine parts (crankshaft bearings) which caused unusual wear. I had to drop a newer used 4.0 L in it. From what I have read this is pretty uncommon, but it does happen. So please take any jeep you are interested to a mechanic and make sure he runs a pressure test on the engine. The first guy I took this too assumed the oil pressure sensor was bad and he didn't test any further.

That is a nice CJ.

You can rent a pressure tester from autozone and test it your self it really simple too! take your rad cap off pump it up to 16 i think it says on the cap and wait a few minute to see if it holds pressure and pray that it does!!!!!!!!

just trying to save ya some cash.

2003 TJ 4.0L, hardtop, Artec Trussed 8.8, 5.5 long arm currie joints, sye Tatton shaft, 35" km2s, barnes 4x4 belly up skid, 11,000lb qtec winch AtoZ fab bumper and lots of rustys stuff

• FZMax, that's a great offer. The guy's name is Tim, and you'll find his craigslist posting number previously on this thread. Or you can look it up yourself...a blue 98, 6 cyl for $8000 in Bear -- only one meets that description. Or, I can let you know when we plan to meet at the Ches-Del and you'd be welcome to join us there.

My mechanic in Dover charges $70 to give a vehicle the head to toe going over, which sounds like $70 well spent to me. So, I'd have to work it out with the guy I'm buying the Jeep from to allow me to have it inspected. As a backup, the rented pressure checker sounds pretty good -- and cheap.

• FZMax, that's a great offer. The guy's name is Tim, and you'll find his craigslist posting number previously on this thread. Or you can look it up yourself...a blue 98, 6 cyl for $8000 in Bear -- only one meets that description. Or, I can let you know when we plan to meet at the Ches-Del and you'd be welcome to join us there.

My mechanic in Dover charges $70 to give a vehicle the head to toe going over, which sounds like $70 well spent to me. So, I'd have to work it out with the guy I'm buying the Jeep from to allow me to have it inspected. As a backup, the rented pressure checker sounds pretty good -- and cheap.

I think that jeep is listed on this site somewhere too....

• i would agree.. get what you want... know that yj's are older and DO demand alot more work and money to keep them on the road... but tj's need work too... also take into effect the costs of you lift... a yj 3.5 superlift that i have cost 600.00 a 4in skyjacker short arm kit on my friends 03 tj was 1400.00 installed... i love my 92 but i will in the future buy a tj... but i will admit cj and yj jeeps look the part as the simple rugged jeep... not saying tj's and jk's are not jeeps.... ps i dont like the jk too much

IMO, TJs are far superior to YJs. better motors, axles, suspension, interior... all the way around. More lift kits are available for TJs than YJs. And, the Superlift 4" kit for TJs is only $687 from Quadratec, and the very popular Rubicon Express 3.5" kit is only $880 (without shocks) and that's far superior to the Skyacker kit.

JKs will take time to get used to, but they are what we have now. better gas mileage, ride quality, creature comforts, etc. and they fit bigger tires without a lift, too.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• jeeps are like opinions are like a@@holes... everyone that has one, will sway u to love theirs. (and most of em stink!!!) :razz:

• jeeps are like opinions are like a@@holes... everyone that has one, will sway u to love theirs. (and most of em stink!!!) :razz:

NICe

IMO, TJs are far superior to YJs. better motors, axles, suspension, interior... all the way around. More lift kits are available for TJs than YJs. And, the Superlift 4" kit for TJs is only $687 from Quadratec, and the very popular Rubicon Express 3.5" kit is only $880 (without shocks) and that's far superior to the Skyacker kit.

JKs will take time to get used to, but they are what we have now. better gas mileage, ride quality, creature comforts, etc. and they fit bigger tires without a lift, too.

your right but those are the cheapies... u need new lower control arms.... especially with a 4in lift... thanks for stating the obvious... techonogly changes for the better... bigger strong etc... we all know... but all that matters is what he wants... their are allot more tj's than yjs.. hence more kits... it goes on... most tjs still have the shitty dana 30/35s so what happened there lol....

• your right but those are the cheapies... u need new lower control arms.... especially with a 4in lift... thanks for stating the obvious... techonogly changes for the better... bigger strong etc... we all know... but all that matters is what he wants... their are allot more tj's than yjs.. hence more kits... it goes on... most tjs still have the sh*tty dana 30/35s so what happened there lol....

the Rubicon Express kit I mentioned includes front and rear lower arms for that price, we sell them all the time at work. my point was that skyjacker is the wrong kit to use for price (or quality) comparisons.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Looks like this topic has pretty much run its course. One last question though....What's the single best magazine to read for Jeep novices who want to get up to speed on the terminology, mod possibilities, etc? Are there any free e-zines out there via email?

This is very short notice but......Regarding the 98 Wrangler from Bear DE mentioned in earlier posts, I'm meeting the guy at the Ches-Del diner on Rt 13 at 10 this morning, in case anyone is interested in a rendezvous to help me size up his vehicle.

Again, thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!