mechanical fuel pump

• any reason why a mechanical fuel pump wont pull through an electric thats in the tank, with no power running to it?? i was getting fuel at first, enough to start the jeep. now nothing. maybe a vacuum or something. so confused!!!!

• I know when my fuel pump went, (on the beach while driving :bang:) i found out that the filter got knocked off the fuel pump, which would leave me to believe that it would throw some kind of error code and shut the unit off.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• any reason why a mechanical fuel pump wont pull through an electric thats in the tank, with no power running to it?? i was getting fuel at first, enough to start the jeep. now nothing. maybe a vacuum or something. so confused!!!!

what jeep your yj? what engine?

• I had my mechanical fuel pump pulling through an electric fuel pump that sat on my frame rail. I never had a problem with it but I imagine it would be dependant on the specific electric fuel pump. Try it out.

Why are you going back to mechanical?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ok... seems to me, looking at the lever... its supposed to be on top of the cam, not underneath... anyone know for sure???

• this is the exact one... cam underneath the lever right?

Depends on how it's spring loaded. You want the spring to continuously push against the cam so that the lever stays in constant contact. I'm pretty sure the lever rides on top of the cam.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Assuming it can only mount one way, then yes.

The parts drawing shows it mounted like your pic, with the fittings up.

Yes over the cam and yes pointin up like your drawing.
    Is this a old pump that was conviently plugging the hole that you decided to use because the electric one stoped working ,or is this a new pump?

• old pump, but being used because the motor i swapped in is carb. and using the mech. fuel pump is way cheaper and easier than installing a pressure regulator. through my testing, this is what i found. i still have the elec. pump in the tank. so i ran power back to it, and it pumps fuel through the mech. f/p and to the carb. the motor runs for a bit after the lines are primed... then dies, and the fuel lines are dry once again. so, im figuring the diaphrams r prolly bad, or the mech. pump simply not working.... so 17 bucks tomorrow will tell the tale. any other ideas??!!!

• Monitor the fuel pressure as it primes and kicks off.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!