4.0 transplant

• Call me crazy but I was offered a deal on a 95 Grand cherokee with 4.0 245000 miles. :doh: Ok, i have a 90 XJ ( not my beater XJ ) with 4.0 100000 miles. I know the fuel injection is different but is the block and head the same? Can i just swap everything over? Meaning take everything off the 95 block+head and puttin it on the 90 block+head. I know the old fords with the 300s could be done, but not sure with the 4.0 :shrug:
    Thanks for any input

• the head will need to be machined, it can be done and is a great mod, my buddy is planning on doing this mod this summer, will let you know, you do need the computer, harness, and im not sure about the fuel situation, better off swapping whole motor and rebuilding that motor, but i would not use much from a cherokee witht hat many miles!

• So the head will need to be machined :-\ I was going to run the 95 as is till something happened. Just pull the one out of the 90 and begin the clean up. I would much rather swap all the parts then rewire anything. I would end up replacing the waterpump and all gaskets and seals. At least if its as easy as i was thinkin. :shrug:

• The only machining I thought was necessary was closing the water jackets, but that was for a 258. Is there a difference with the Renix motors (assuming '90 was a Renix year)?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• So the head will need to be machined :-\ I was going to run the 95 as is till something happened. Just pull the one out of the 90 and begin the clean up. I would much rather swap all the parts then rewire anything. I would end up replacing the waterpump and all gaskets and seals. At least if its as easy as i was thinkin. :shrug:

nothing is every easy in a jeep! except breaking stuff

ill check with my buddy but i think the top of the block must be machined.... not wure will double check

• Jason, is the 90 XJ the 4.0L H.O.? If it is, I see no reason at all why you cant swap the accessories and be done with it. If it's Renix that may be a whole nuther issue. I know if my 4.0 ever goes in my YJ and I don't have the funds for a V8 swap I am going to find the cheapest lowest mileage XJ 4.0 I can and swap accessories. I've know of a few folks that have done just that.

• J-man, did my neighbor call you yet about his 96?

No

Jason, is the 90 XJ the 4.0L H.O.? If it is, I see no reason at all why you cant swap the accessories and be done with it. If it's Renix that may be a whole nuther issue. I know if my 4.0 ever goes in my YJ and I don't have the funds for a V8 swap I am going to find the cheapest lowest mileage XJ 4.0 I can and swap accessories. I've know of a few folks that have done just that.

Some guys over on NAXJA said its fine. With a little more work

• Ok so far i have been told to rework the 95 head and put on the 90 block would make everything go back together easier.

Or keep the 90 together as much as possible would be better. But I think i would have to swap wiring harnesses :doh:

I dont know im goin to do a little more research at work tomorrow :innocent:

• Does the '95 have an OBD1 system?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• it shouldnt

95 was a weird year in the auto industry as some will be OBD II and others will not. I know my 95 YJ is OBD I, but my 96 XJ was most definitely OBD II.

Jason, what are you even thinking of messing with the Grand for anyway? I still think you should swap all your junk from the grey beater XJ over to the nice one anyway. It would probably be best if you wheeled in disguise from now on anyway....... :suspicious:

• 95 was a weird year in the auto industry as some will be OBD II and others will not. I know my 95 YJ is OBD I, but my 96 XJ was most definitely OBD II.

Jason, what are you even thinking of messing with the Grand for anyway? I still think you should swap all your junk from the grey beater XJ over to the nice one anyway. It would probably be best if you wheeled in disguise from now on anyway....... :suspicious:

Im not going to wheel the ZJ, its still in great shape. I was goin to beat around town in it. Diesel is killing me :down: Im sure your missing the XJ with fuel prices.

Does the '95 have an OBD1 system?

I will be in Florida this weekend but when i get back ill check it out.

• [quote='Deebo','https://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=163148#post163148']
    J-man, did my neighbor call you yet about his 96?

No

His name is Jack 302-838-5658

• Im not going to wheel the ZJ, its still in great shape. I was goin to beat around town in it. Diesel is killing me :down: Im sure your missing the XJ with fuel prices.

Not really, my XJ was getting 14-15 around town and my F-250 has averaged 16-17 for the first two tanks. So yes I am paying more for the fuel but I am using less. I will take the trade off and be able to pull the YJ any day of the week. What is killing me is the double tanks and letting them both go to "E" before filling. My last one was $115.00!! I am going to pick up my trailer tomorrow morning, then it's on. :spinrhead:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!