Carb options for 79 CJ7 V8

• Like the title says, I'm looking for some options to upgrade my carb on my 79 cj7. It has a 304.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• I dont' think a Weber is really an upgrade from an MC2100 which is what the 304 should have.

Are you looking for another carb or EFI? The MC2100 is a simple carb to rebuild so stick with it if you can. A rebuild kit will only cost about $40 or so. If it's broke or missing, you can find them for $10 or so at a flea market. Junk yards with older Ford vehicles will have them as well. They were used extensively in their day. If you wanted fuel injection, you'd be better off buying a kit, although I remember a guy who took one from a 305 and hooked it up. I'm not sure what hurtles he had to leap through though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• weber is not the answer the factory carb can be modified very easily and inexpensive i kinda like the edelbrock idea also but i would want a performanc cam with it

• before i upgraded to pro-jection, I had a edelbrock performer and holley quad......both performed horribly on high angles. A good friend that wheeled with me, had your carb and always had fewer fuel issues on steep angles. I tried to mod the edelbrock to make it perform better, but is just didn't like high angles.

• I remember a post on JU where people rated fuel systems relative to working at high angles. I believe it went something like:

Fuel Injection
    Quadrajet
    Motorcraft
    Weber...I think came next....

Then I can't remember the rest. I had a Motorcraft at the time and was happy that it was rated highly.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have a Q-jet sitting in my garage, it came off my 85 Z28 w/305... don't know what it would need to fit an amc eng, but it's yours for $20.
    My Camero ran better with it than it ever did with the edelbrock I used to replace it. It has been sitting in the edelbrock box for about 8 years, so it more then likely needs a rebuild (autozone has kits I believe)

• good point on the angle issue with the holly you need to modify the floats which would be an issue initself but most jeeps on the road never leav the road so decide what youll use the vehicle for then decide but as far as cost effective the stock carb was well rounded and if you rejet it and modify the accel pump spring they work even better

• Here's a link to a motorcraft carb for sale in Pottstown. It's a 1.21 which will be jetted heavier than a 1.08.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884924

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!