YJ Cherokee Engine Swaps

• I am curious about swapping a 95 cherokee engine with the 4.0L and 5 speed trans into my 1989 4 cyl YJ. I didn't know if anyone has any input on doing something like this... motor mounts, wiring, transmissions, etc. Thanks.

• BBD did this, although I'm not sure what years he was dealing with. I guess since you're going from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder it shouldn't matter since you'll need the whole electrical anyway.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• the 4.0 mounts are the same for YJ,XJ,TJ... not sure if the mounts are the same as the 4cyl, though. the trans mount will be different, you'll probably have to custom fab that. There's a guy at work who did the swap but used the AW4 automatic trans from the XJ, too. He had to do some heavy duty cooling since the YJ radiator can't handle the extra heat from that trans.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• the 4.0 mounts are the same for YJ,XJ,TJ... not sure if the mounts are the same as the 4cyl, though. the trans mount will be different, you'll probably have to custom fab that. There's a guy at work who did the swap but used the AW4 automatic trans from the XJ, too. He had to do some heavy duty cooling since the YJ radiator can't handle the extra heat from that trans.

Did a swap on a 91 YJ, took a 4.0 from a 94 (maybe from a 94 cherokee, i forget now really) and put it into a 91 YJ. The driver's side motor mount was slightly different in that the hole for the bolt was offset and did not line up. We Just took the mount off the old engine and used it instead of using the mount mount from the newer one, so don't give away your mounts :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!