How strict is it?

• So I am really considering getting the surf tag but I have a few questions. I went to the DNREC website and read all the rules but what I am wondering is how close do they follow them? The whole no swimming thing seems REALLY unrealistic. How the hell can anyone sit on the beach all day and not take a dip now and then to cool off? If my kids want to play in the surf is that cool? I'm guessing if you park next to some guy that is hard core fishing it would piss him off, but if it's a bunch of families hanging out will you get hassled. I'm used to OBX so all the "rules" are very perplexing. Please clue me in.

• you can swim but you must fish or atleast have a pole in the water. I have been told that they even may check to see if you have bait on the line.

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• They are for the most part relaxed .
    In the 8 plus years I have been on the surf I have never been checked .
    Others on here have tho .
    There are always ppl in the water , be it swimming , surfing of using a boogie board .
    Unless the rangers see something amiss . They will just drive right by .

The kids will be go to go . I have, aswell as a few others on here, pitched tents on the surf for them
    to sleep , change or just get out of the sun
    Normally you wont find to many hardcore fishing guys out when the beach is busy .

We always have groups from here hanging out "trying" to catch fish ;D and drinking here and are never hassled .

Steve if you get your tag and come down for a long weekend LMK .
    I have plenty of room in the side yard to set up camp .
    Normally the parks are packed and require a reservations at least a month in advance
    Hotels are always plentiful too (tho pricey )

IIRC most we ever had out at once was like 12 jeeps .

Doesn't get any better than the sun on your back great friends and a cold beer on the surf ;D

Night runs are a blast . This trip out we stayed till midnight I think .

If you get you tag I'll make sure you get your subscription to the Secret Squirrel Club Newletter

• I realized you could do it on line. $137.00 later, here's to a summer of Jeeping on the beach!

im debating on getting one this year...getting steep... you could have went to eastern marine next to BJ's in newark and got it on the spot. it also gets you into the DE state parks (carpenter park, killens, ect...)

• So I am really considering getting the surf tag but I have a few questions. I went to the DNREC website and read all the rules but what I am wondering is how close do they follow them? The whole no swimming thing seems REALLY unrealistic. How the hell can anyone sit on the beach all day and not take a dip now and then to cool off? If my kids want to play in the surf is that cool? I'm guessing if you park next to some guy that is hard core fishing it would piss him off, but if it's a bunch of families hanging out will you get hassled. I'm used to OBX so all the "rules" are very perplexing. Please clue me in.

Don't you remember anything from the old Delaware Seashore days?? :innocent:

• Don't you remember anything from the old Delaware Seashore days?? :innocent:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it all came rushing back to me, BIG NASTY! Nah seriously, the two things I took away from that summer are, I will NEVER clean a public restroom as long as I live and a Jeep is the coolest vehichle you can possibly own. It was all your fault I got into Jeeping, I never rode in one until yours. That next school year I bought my own, and as they say, "The rest is history.".

• A ranger came up to me one time because I didn't have my line in the water & told me I had to be fishing. I told him I took it out because the kids were swimming. He said this is a fishing beach & you must be fishing.

Another time I was next to some hardcore old guys & they asked me if I was going to really fish or just suntan because they would throw my line out so I didn't get tangled up in theirs. :doh: I threw my own line out.

Make sure you have everything you are supposed to & have line in water-with bait- & you should be ok.

• I have been out there almost every summer weekend with friends/family since I was born. Its a great time, and if you don't cause a problem, normally they won't cause you any :up:

• ive been driving on the beach for 22 years and the last 2 years they seem to be realy enforcing the fishing rule and checking for bait. I rember a time when they didnt care if your pole was even in the water just as long as you had one with you. If you dont care about the fishing thing just buy some artifical squid and some hooks and a few sinkers. toss it out and leave it alone. carry the tackle in your glove box and you are good all season :)

• Oh yeah, I already planned on the artificial squid and a heavy ass sinker (to keep it from drifting) just to keep it legal. I have a small saltwater box and tackle that I primarily use in OBX so I will have that as well. As far as fishing up here, I'm going to be pissed *if* I catch something! :laughing:

• Oh yeah, I already planned on the artificial squid and a heavy ass sinker (to keep it from drifting) just to keep it legal. I have a small saltwater box and tackle that I primarily use in OBX so I will have that as well. As far as fishing up here, I'm going to be pissed *if* I catch something! :laughing:

Don't use mullet for bait then!!! That's how Woody finally caught his first fish.

• any recommendations on where to go (ie what beach, mile marker, etc) to stay away from the "real" fisherman? I respect the guys out there really fishing and don't want to cause them any problems.

There are a few Tournaments you should shy away from . Those normally take place down @ IRI .
    Other than that it really doesn't matter . When you get on the surf you will see the ones who are serious .
    Just move past them till you see an open spot .
    Most of the time , the serious ones won't be out in full force when the surf is busy .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!