Doors drama II

• Just tried to remove my drivers door and the dumb :censored: who owned it before me painted the door hinge pin nuts. Well, the bolts proceeded to snap off after 1/2 turn, and the :cuss: doors still wont come off. Now I have to buy 4 new pins and bolts because I'm sure the passenger door will do the same :bang: . Anyone have any extras for a tj?

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Edited once, last by Deebo ().

• The pins sheared off? Did they snap off clean where the upper and lower hinge mate together or did it shear inside the lower part of the hinge?

Without seeing it it's hard to determine the best course of action. But one way would be to remove the hinge from the body. That way you can at least remove the door and probably get the hinge off and into a vice to get the broken pin out. The problem is that it will probably mess the paint up on the tub. Another way would be to take an angle grinder and grind the pin off flush where the upper and lower hinge parts meet. This will also burn some paint up but I think it will be easier to touch up or hide.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• did the pins themselves snap or just the threads? if it was just the threads i would leave them like that. The threads snapped off on my door hinges and it didn't seem worth it to purchase new ones. Haven't had a problem since and when i want the doors off i don't have to remove any nuts.

• did the pins themselves snap or just the threads? if it was just the threads i would leave them like that. The threads snapped off on my door hinges and it didn't seem worth it to purchase new ones. Haven't had a problem since and when i want the doors off i don't have to remove any nuts.

the threads snapped where the bolts thread onto the pin. there is about 1/16th of an inch sticking out below the hinge. I tried smacking it a few times with a hammer from the bottom, but didn't force it in case I was doing something wrong.

• The pins and bolts (threaded section ) are one piece . I doubt anyone has xtras laying around .
    Dealer is the only place to get them and they will come unpainted
    The nuts are merely there to prevent theft .
    Use THESE instead ..

FWIW I couldnt find the pin by itself in my parts listing .
    Have to get the hinge to get a new pin looks like .

Since both are broken now .
    Just keep swinging the door open and closed while lifting up . It will come off .
    HTH

• Once I got the nuts off, I just never put them back on. I'm just leaving the pins exposed. Where we are I don't worry about theft.

But I have a question about that link you posted. Do you have to have the nuts on the pins for that lock to work?

• Once I got the nuts off, I just never put them back on. I'm just leaving the pins exposed. Where we are I don't worry about theft.

But I have a question about that link you posted. Do you have to have the nuts on the pins for that lock to work?

No, this goes over the pin head so you can't pull it up.

• i have not put the nuts back on mine since i got the truck back in 03. the nuts are floating around my glove box somewhere.

• I wrecked the threads on mine getting the doors off, ended up using a rotoray tool to cut off the threads entirely... I think I have the nuts in my garage... if you need them I'll try to find them...

Unless you are paranoid about theft, I would just cut thte threads off... If someone wants something bad enought they will just take it.. You can lock the doors, but thats kinda silly with a soft top.. Even the lock they sell for the doors comes off with a simple hex head...

• I wrecked the threads on mine getting the doors off, ended up using a rotoray tool to cut off the threads entirely... I think I have the nuts in my garage... if you need them I'll try to find them...

Yeah, I guess I'm just gonna go that route with leaving them off. I just got a little excited when they snapped, cause I wasn't sure if I screwed something up or not. Went and bought a rubber mallet, still trying to get the doors off. When the pins snapped, they kinda warped, might have to grind a little.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• i would rather be without the threaded part of the pins. they just make it a pain sometimes putting the doors back on.

the pin nuts are always painted

• i would rather be without the threaded part of the pins. they just make it a pain sometimes putting the doors back on.

the pin nuts are always painted

I realized that later, but I think the jeeps been re-painted and there is so much paint in them, the bottom of the pin in the nut wasn't even visable. I didn't realize how weak those pins are before now.

• there is a much simpler solution, just get four 3/8" by 4" spring lock pins... it makes taking your doors on and off so simple. got mine out of McMaster Carr

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!