Switching tag to another vehicle

• I am heading to Henlopen this weekend and depending on who rides with me, I may want to change the surf tag from my TJ to my JK.

Parks and Rec said that this could be easily done at the office for $10 which is great but with a hour and half ride and the stringent enforcement I have heard lately, I don't want any issues.

Has anyone done this at the office before and is it no big deal?

• I could be wrong but I think I was quoted much more then that for switching them. It seems stupid to me that you can't just take the tag off one vehicle and stick it on another if both vehicles are registered to one person.

I personally (not legal) just took it off my TJ and stuck it on my Dodge for the weekend we were down there. Taking a chance I guess but I've NEVER seen an officer ask for the id registration for the tag.

Just my thoughts.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I checked into it last year and I do beleive that the $10 transfer fee is correct. You just need the registration from the second vehicle (I think) to get the transfer paper.

99 TJ with 2&quot; Skyjacker spacers/shocks<br />33x12.50 MTR&#039;S

• Its no big deal to change over I did it last year, MAKE sure if you go out at henlopen to change it because like said before there being strict there.

• I did it for $10 a few years ago.. I used to swapped one tag between 2 Jeeps.. Never had an issue , but never was checked. I'm sure the worst that would have happen is that they would make me do the transfer.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• The lady in the office was nice but a little confusing so I am going to do what I usually do with government agencies which is to bring more than enough info from both vehicles (and pray ;D).

I should be fine. Thanks guys.

I got harrassed the first day I was out there and the guy was a jerk about it. Young guy on a huge power trip!

Most likely a seasonal ranger...think because they get a shirt that says enforcement on it they are god!

1990 YJ, 4&quot; Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Im sure my time will come ,but to date, i have never been checked

I never have either.

And that includes one rainy night when a friend and I were out there and I killed the battery listening to the radio for a few hours.

I had enough juice to make the CB work and I got someone who called the SP who woke up a DNREC guy and they came out and gave us a jump start.

The cop asked my name for his records but that was it.

LOL, that was over 20 years ago.

• Okay, okay. I had my old tag which was bent in half screwed to the front of my jeep with my new tag tucked in my window where they told me it would be okay at the office since I wasn't strong enough to unscrew the nuts to put it on the front.

The guy wanted to see my registration information for the 07 tag as well as the 08 tag which I also had the receipt for since I hadn't even had it for 2 hours yet. I didn't find the paperwork for '07 but I found it for '06.

So right in front of him Surfrider was nice enough to unscrew my bolts and put the new tag on :)

The ranger was still a jerk about it!!!

• For future reference, switching vehicles was very easy and fast. For ten bucks and a few minutes time, I wouldn't mind switching back to the TJ if the family doesn't come down. :up: Switching tags would be cheaper though if I thought I would never get caught.

Here are some pics of my new ride on the beach.

• Did you even air down, Bill? We went out the other night and I just rolled on out, didn't air down (never do), and the 4DR was much easier in the sand than the 2DR JK. Just heavier I guess?

• No. Rolled right on and right off several times...and we were loaded to the hilt. (Kids ::))

I have to say I am very pleased with the decision. We have done plenty of beach/camp trips with the family in our TJ and this trip was much less stressful. The kids had leg room, we didn't need racks or chairs strapped to the spare, etc, etc. What a difference!!! :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!