snorkles

• aside from the obvious water benefits, how does a snorkle rank against the cold air intakes like AEM, air-raid, etc.......Is there any benefit there over the stock set-up.

• aside from the obvious water benefits, how does a snorkle rank against the cold air intakes like AEM, air-raid, etc.......Is there any benefit there over the stock set-up.

It looks cool ;D

• You get to cut a hole in your fender. I personally did not enjoy putting the Airflow on my Cherokee mainly because I had to cut apart the apron beside the shock mount. I really didn't notice any benefit out of it besides the roar of the intake. Drove down Reedy's Point when the road washed out and took it to the headlights in water... Works for me.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• Anytime you can increase the air flow and air pressure, you will get a bit higher HP. That being said, I would think your benefit might only take place at highway speeds. Personally I would mount the scoop facing back, that would prevent too much water from getting in during heavy rain. Also would recommend a pre-filter to keep bugs and larger particles out, Think a snorkal would be a fun mod to make custom. Anyone can buy one.

Also , not a bad idea if you are really going to going to dunk it into water, make sure all your vent tubes run high, or into the snorkel. Lots of silicone to seal up parts and stuff. Also get a lot of dielectric grease and pack all your connectors. There are lists out ion the net to do it right.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• snorkels have a benefit of using outside air, which is usually a lot cooler than air drawn from the engine compartment. Cooler:better. Most of the snorkel heads have drains in them to let blown-in rain/water escape before going down the intake tube.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'll put one on the JK as soon as one is available that doesn't require the same brand special airbox like Volant. I'll cut the hole, its only a fender, but I already have an S&B airbox.

• AEV makes one a cool snorkel.. http://www.quadratec.com/products/17100_101_07.htm
    there's also the River Raider snorkel, but, eh... http://shop.riverraider.com/pr…?categoryId=1&productId=4

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I saw one of those aluminum snorkels like the River Raider. It looks much nicer in brushed aluminum.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have been looking for one for my Cj, no one seems to make one for them. Quite odd since they still out number all other makes. :shrug:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• You should be able to make any of them fit a CJ. The hard part will be making an adapter to the carb. But you could probably attach the stock air clearner to the snorkel with a little modification.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have been looking for one for my Cj, no one seems to make one for them. Quite odd since they still out number all other makes. :shrug:

I'm sure you could retrofit something to make it work. I saw a guy on Expeditional Portal put a LandCruiser ARB on his Tahoe.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!