Lift Question

• I am looking for a very inexpensive suspension or maybe even a shackle lift, say 2" for a 90 YJ that I can do myself or with some help. Won't be doing any real off roading, maybe some easy trails and the beach but that is it. Just want to get it up just a bit. Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• If you won't be doing any real off roading then go with a 1" body lift and a 1" shackle lift. Both are relatively cheap and easy to install.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You could go with some 2 inch shackles. They are usually pretty cheap and can be found at quadratech or all over ebay. Just type in jeep lift and you will find them. I like the greasable ones myself.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Keep in mind that you will only get half the lift out of the extended shackle length. That is, if the shackle length is 2" longer than stock then you will only get 1" of lift.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks for the advice. Is changing the shackles as easy as unbolting and rebolting?? I found these and am thinking about them...any opinions?? The web site show a 2" difference measuring to the bottom of the front fender :shrug: :shrug:

Item# SW140 -- Shackle Rear Pair
    Item Price:$ 32.95
    Heavy Duty Shackle Rear Pair for the Jeep YJ 87-95. Available in heights of Stock, 1" lift, 1.5" lift, and 2" lift. Shackles are made with 2" x 3/8" thick side plates with a welded 2" x 1" crossbrace on the 1.5" and 2" lifts Front and Rear Pairs and a 2x1 crossbrace on the 1" Lift Front Pairs. They have a 1.25" x 1.25" welded crossbrace on the 1" lift rear pairs and a 3/8" thick flat Crossbrace on the Rear Stock pairs, due to clearance. SPECIFY LIFT NEEDED FROM PULLDOWN MENU BELOW. Shackle specs: SW140ST - 4.5" blt to blt, SW141 - 5.75" blt to blt, SW1415 - 6.25" blt to blt, SW142 - 7" blt to blt. Inside width on these are 3.125". Shackles come Gloss black. All hardware included: Grade 8 Gold Adonized Bolts - 5" x 1/2", and Nylon Lock nuts, and Installation Instructions. ORDER THESE AND A MATCHING PAIR OF FRONT ONES TO SHACKLE ENTIRE JEEP.

• :hmm:

You (we) still need new bushings (greaseable), right? Most of these kits don't seem to include new bushings.

If you go this route, let me know, I'll order a set too, and we can put them on in my garage some weekend.

DrJ (watching with interest...)

• The rear shackles will require cutting the head off of the top bolts. They put them in backwards at the factory. :rolleyes:

• The unbolting part is easy. Getting the bolts out is another story. Like don said you have to either drop the gas tank, or cut out the old bolts in the rear. Neither is really fun. I think I sawsall is required, a grinder won't fit. (not sure about a grinder anyway around a gas tank :suspicious: )

It's not so bad but you do have some cutting

• Thanks for all the advice! :up:

DrJ, not sure about the greasable bushings...it seemed to me (and I am very new to this) that they had these shackle lifts and another set that were a bit higher in price that were greasable shackles :shrug:

The web page is:

http://www.southwest4x4.net/index.cgi

If I decide on them or if we find a better option lets discuss.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!