'93 YJ 2.5 Swap question

• I've tossed the idea around a lot that I want to swap out my YJ's 2.5 for something with more power. However, it seems that grabbing a 4.0 from the same year is a complicated job and a V6 or V8 seems to be out of the question.

However, it was once brought to my attention that there is a V8 from one of the CJs that is a direct swap with the 2.5 from the YJ. How this works is WAY beyond me considering the differences in size of the engines, but I just wanted to see if this is true and I could in fact get a CJ engine for my YJ and have it be a nice, "easy" swap.

If this isn't possible, would it be worth it to do a 4.0 throttle body swap on a rebuilt 2.5?

• There is no easy or direct swap for the 2.5. The easiest is probably the 4.0 or the Ford 5.0l. There is a ton of info on the web for the 4.0l and since it came in the Jeep you know it will fit and pats are available. The Ford motor is good because it has a stand alone computer and harness. There are also many other things to consider like if the rest of the drivetrain can handle the additional power. Do some Google searches because just about every motor out there has been swaped into a Jeep.

Aaron

• I do see what you mean about the drivetrain's ability to handle the extra power. Honestly, I think a full overhaul of the drivetrain is probably a better idea than throwing more power under the hood without addressing other possible issues.

I'm thinking a rebuilt 2.5, rebuilt AX-15, and some new gears for the rear axle is probably the best solution to my situation. Get it back into its original condition, with the exception of the Death Wobble I get around 55 mph, but that's suspension related.

A $6,000+ drivetrain overhaul on a Jeep worth maybe $2,500. Oh, the things we do to the things we love.

• for a about 3 years now i have had my 2.5. its a great motor and for what it lacks in power it makes up in weight "or lack of" but now thats all going to end, i just got a 4.0 drivline out of a 2000 tj.. i pulled the 4.0 trans nv-3550, and t case plus motor and entire harness. i got a great deal.. 400.00 for everyting... however my 2.5 is not stock either. it has the 4.0 throttle body mod, throttle body spacer, air aid cold air intake, pacesetter headers, 2in full exhaust, accel super coil, accep cap, wires, and rotor, and eletric fan and no ac... it runs good and lots of power... its just not enough... i now have 33's and the 2.5 was good with the 31's but the 33's defently make a difference... but then i thought to regear but i got a great deal and thats the only reason i will be doing it this winter....

just my onpion but a rebuilt 2.5 is a waste of money... buy a junkard motor like i did... 100.00 it was fuel injected and has been running for 2 years and is still strong... you can find 2.5 motors for under 100.00 or in some cases free... the ax-15 is a very diffcult swap and your better off just doing the whole drive-train... by the time you rebuild or buy an ax-15 and get it installed your talking 1500- 2000 for that alone... i have 3 ax-5's two rebuilt waiting in case i blow another one... i have collect 5 in the last year and three were free... used as parts... its all about how you look... if your looking for 4cy motor upgrades ill sell you all my stuff, except the intake. ... we can talk...

this is it running...

good luck

ill post the pics when i do the swap in nov-dec

• Well, i've been wanting to take the entire Jeep back to its stock condition. So it would be the same motor and tranny, but with some upgrades done. I have an odd feeling that just taking the time to take my current engine and tranny apart and clean it, replacing what's worn out as I go as well as freshly gasketing everything, would be better on my wallet than dishing out money for a new engine and tranny. Thankfully I have the knowledge and some of the tools to do such a thing, though I don't have a replacement beater in the mean time.

I may take you up buying your upgrades, though I wasn't going to go too extreme with them. The air intake will be a definite upgrade, but it may just be some small upgrades to the electrical system from there.

Either way, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can have my Jeep restored by the time it becomes a classic. ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!