• Does anyone have a 4.0 manual xj with 3.07 axles and 33" tires?

if so how does it effect the overall proformace?

and do you notice any underpowered issues when offroading? I'm guessing it won't be terrible. :shrug:

i am going to be cutting the fenders and going to 33" tires. i don't want to regear for a little. and i did some math and i calculate that at 60mph with 33 will put my RPM around 1400 instead of 1700 with my tiny 29s. (they look so goofy not filling the wells) so i figure i can save some gas till i regear. and i guess i won't be racing any of the Honda's by my house :driving:

i can't do much to the axles till i can sell my little 4 banger s10. so i am going to wait on rebuilding, regearing and locking the jeep.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• you're geared way too high for 33s. i think it would be terribly underpowered for offroad, and on the road for that matter.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• You want a 4.0 to run in the 2200 to 3000 rpm range for best fuel milage, if you run it at 1400 it will have no power and will struggle to keep speed.

• yeah when i had 3.07's it was a bitch to run the jeep on rt.1 but other than that it wasn't that bad on and off road up at RC...but it's a whole new world of killing ricers now with 4.10's :driving: :idiot: :razz:

• yeah when i had 3.07's it was a b*tch to run the jeep on rt.1 but other than that it wasn't that bad on and off road up at RC...but it's a whole new world of killing ricers now with 4.10's :driving: :idiot: :razz:

3.07's and 33's arent that bad, ive been running that for almost 2 years now. Untill you get the money to regear or swap axles, you can definately live with it and wheel it just fine.

• 3.07's and 33's arent that bad, ive been running that for almost 2 years now. Untill you get the money to regear or swap axles, you can definately live with it and wheel it just fine.

I'll 2nd that. You just have to stay in a lower gear longer and maybe in 4th at high speeds and hills.

• I'll 2nd that. You just have to stay in a lower gear longer and maybe in 4th at high speeds and hills.

any other things you guys noticed when you had 33s on it?

how are the brakes? is a disk conversion something i should consider when upgrading my axles?

what is the backspacing on your rims?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• any other things you guys noticed when you had 33s on it?

what is the backspacing on your rims?

without enough backspacing, you will have serious rubbing issues. i have 3.75" and still had problems at first.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• the brakes on my jeep are very good with 33's. Never had a problem stopping (besides the occasional lock-up).

• without enough backspacing, you will have serious rubbing issues. i have 3.75" and still had problems at first.

what tires and size do you have?

the brakes on my jeep are very good with 33's. Never had a problem stopping (besides the occasional lock-up).

do you have the 10" drums or the 9" drums?

• what tires and size do you have?

33x12.5s. at 5" lift i was having rubbing issues. boosted it to 6" and it's all good.

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Peak torque is also volumetric efficacy so if you run 2200 at 50 in od and 3000 at 75 or 80 you are good to go and will get your best fuel mileage. Peak torque is around 2400 for most 4.0's.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!