35's and a turdy5

• I've heard a couple of schools of thought on this ---

When you get 35's you have nothing but problems.

If you add it on top of the d35 your going to have nothing but problems....

BUT, I wonder if I want 35's.

Who has experience with D35's and 35's?

OH, and I guess I'd have to see if it will fit in my garage :innocent:

Some info -

I have a 05 TJ with a D35 and D30 front, no lockers, and 3.73 gears.

The intent is to get a DD or a truck to tow, but right now it's a DD.

• I had a D35 in my ZJ with 31's. I broke two shafts in a two year time frame and I was BEATING on it when each shaft broke. You'll get mixed reviews on your question and usually they won't have much positive to say. Then again, you go on Pirate and there's guys on there wheelin' with 33's and a Super35. I say go for it and see what happens. If it becomes and issue swap in a TJ 44 and call it a day.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• its hit or miss iv seen people with 33's on a d35 and beet it every day and not have a problem, and iv seen people blow apart a 35 over and over with 31's

• With how often you wheel... I think you'll be fine with 35s. *grin*

I'd say to get a couple stock shafts and learn how to change them quickly, but they're a pain to change on the trail. Plus, you have the school of thought that 35s make most of the trails around here too easy. Get a lunchbox locker for your D30 and spare shafts for the 30 and stick with the 33s for a bit longer.

I might go up to 35s the next time I need tires, but mainly because I've got plenty of room to fit them now. I've been in the "run with 33s and lock it" train of thought for a while now.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• cant give you any insite on the dana35, because when i went to 35's i put in my 8.8. But ive been daily driving my yj for a year now with the 35's and have had no problems. it actually rides better now than it ever did.

95&#039; YJ stock springs. SOA ,8.8 w/disks and 35&#039;s<br />DD 2008 Grand Cherokee

• Ha, I have an empty 8.8 rear here out of a Ranger for free...

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• THIS IS MY OPINION

dont do it. if i would have kept my TJ on 33's i would still have it. i upgraded to the locked 8.8 and 35's....trails became too easy, gas mileage sucked, on road quality was acceptable. if i could do it again (and will some day) i would stick to 33's and have fun wheeling. the 35's made anything but red trails a walk in the park, and i lost my interest....and having a DD that gets 8 MPG sucked....

i would have went back to 33's but with the 8.8 i would drag the diff around rausch creek,

id say leave it on 33's and enjoy wheeling...and have a decent DD

• X100

Take this advice from those of us who have been where you are joo. Check out my set up on Sunday. I finally am using mine again but it's still completely trail worthy. Only regret I have is that it has the 8.8 in it now. Like Dave said. If I wheel it I'll probably end up dragging it everywhere.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• FYI i ran for 2 years on 33's unlocked D35 and never broke an axle... i typically ran blues/blacks with a light right foot i may have been lucky...but i feel the 35 is stronger than you think unless you are a hard right foot... you can get a lot of beer and axle shafts for the price of 35's

• I ran a D35 with 33s for about 2 years as well. Ran hard everytime out, just easier on the skinny pedal... Worked great... Just do not lock it.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• this is just my opinion, so please take it as such:

you SHOULD be fine as long as you don't lock the 35 or drop the clutch.

the thing you are going to find is even 3.73 gears are no where near deep enough for 35's, and no one wants to drop the coin into regearing a 35 to still be "open" and then have to buy and build ANOTHER axle just to wheel.

• ok well let me start here... ya wont know till ya try it!!!! I have put my Jeep through HELL at times with them 35's on it. and a 4cyl. at that.... 488 gears which some people say are a mistake, well i never had any trouble, and no i aint a puss when it comes to mud either. have the pics to prove it! Last time i went muddin i hooked up to a stuck 3/4 ton suburban with 36's that was framed out and wouldnt start. Was told that i would never be able to budge it!!!!! well needless to say it took me about 2 good yanks and i mean some good ones with a snatch rope and pulled him out!!! Hopped out of my jeep,unhooked and kept on muddin!!!! The moral to the story is ....wheeling is 75% skills and 25% JEEP!!!!! I have one of those,well what some jerkoffs call a generic JEEP! So best advise i can give is u dont know till ya try it! Some of you may have seen it but in case you havent here are some pics....OH and by the way the jeep is blue! LOL BUT like i said its a 4cyl.w/ 35's a 4inch suspension lift,4:88 gears NO lockers and no problem GENERIC JEEP! LOL So Best of luck with whatever u decide,
    Brandy

• :shrug:

Can you get away with it? Yup.

Should you? Depends.

I ran a D35 in my MJ for awhile w/ 35's while getting together my D44. IMHO if you're prepared for the breakage then go for it but if you wheel it hard (esp on the rocks...mud tends to be a bit more forgiving on drivetrain parts) you're going to break it. No question about it. In less than 6 months I went through 3 shafts and 2 sets of spider gears w/ an open diff. If you're prepared with the parts, tools, and knowledge to take care of the issue then go for it but I'd only do it as an intermediate step while getting together something a little more suited for that much tire.

Hell, I just finished the lift on Jen's TJ and it will be on 35's by the end of the week with a D35 but it's mostly street driven and I've got my old 44 sitting in the garage awaiting new brackets so that it can get bolted in...

--Ian

• well ive seen guys snap 35 axles really easy and some ive seen take an absolute beating and never have broken. depends on the beast i think lol. as long as u dont lock your axles and dont wheel like a maniac i think 35s will be ok. just keep in mind to save up for some new ones down the road.

just make sure you have a back up plan when doing any serious wheeling.

• For the people that ran an 8.8 and were dragging it....did you guys not have spotters? Before I upgraded to 35's on my 8.8 I hardly ever drug the thing across rocks with 33's, but I was navigating the trails to put the tire on the high points. I also ran a D35 on 33's prior to that and the axle is a turd like said. After a few outtings it began to bow on me. Then again, if you don't lock it you will probably be fine on 33's. I would upgrade and not worry about it at all. I have a V8 and harp on the 8.8 with LS and that thing pulls me through anything. That said......I have 2 still forsale at the yard!!! :innocent:

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• [quote author=AndyZJ link=topic=22158.msg187139#msg187139 date=122659063I have 2 still forsale at the yard!!! :innocent:
    [/quote]
    what gears in them and disc brakes?

• Yes they are disc brake rears, but they are not 4.10 geared. The two I have left are open carrier 3.55 and 3.73. The open carrier is stronger for lockers.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!