TJ vibrates....that can't be good

• did you grease the ds before reinstalling it?? maybe if you grease up the slip joint you might be ok...worth a try seeing as it costs next to nothing

I have not taken off the driveshaft -- yet! I think that's a project in my very near future. I think I'd like to replace my u-joints. My TJ has 160K miles on it and they probably need to be replaced anyway. Plus, in the process I'm sure I'll get an education.

Quantum73 and Captain, thanks for your input. I'll check out those options. Jim

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• May I recommend getting a angel finder and measuring the ds angels, it isn't hard and it will tell you what needs to move. If you can drive up to my work in bear I will gladly check it for you, I just wouldn't have time to drive to you for a while.

• I would def recommend the SYE/CV, but is it needed? I think not. I would rally lean towards the MML and tcase drop. I would not even bother doing anything else until you do them. Other then that everyone here is beating a dead horse. 4" of lift is a lot on a TJ, doesn't matter if it is a 4cyl manual or a 6cyl auto. that is a big angle for a Slip Yoke style transfer case (not saying it is too much or not, just that it is a lot). Do yourself a favor and try that drop first. If the angle is too great, it would prevent the Slip Yoke from sliding in/out of the tcase. That is why the recommend the 1" drop. It tends to keep the drive line at a little bit of a better angle. Jnzjeepyj already has one for you so you should just take it and give it a shot, not going to hurt anything.

Just my 2cents...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• I would def recommend the SYE/CV, but is it needed? I think not. I would rally lean towards the MML and tcase drop. I would not even bother doing anything else until you do them. Other then that everyone here is beating a dead horse. 4" of lift is a lot on a TJ, doesn't matter if it is a 4cyl manual or a 6cyl auto. that is a big angle for a Slip Yoke style transfer case. Do yourself a favor and try that drop first. If the angle is too great, it would prevent the Slip Yoke from sliding in/out of the tcase. That is why the recommend the 1" drop. It tends to keep the drive line at a little bit of a better angle. Jnzjeepyj already has one for you so you should just take it and give it a shot, not going to hurt anything.

Just my 2cents...

Thanks!!

• Update....The Mistaken (aka Mr Fixit) came over today and we did the transfer case drop without a hitch. It's hard to believe, but that little angle difference solved the vibration problem! I'm very happy. ;D

He checked my u-joints and pronounced them to be in great shape. No need to replace them, he said. Since I had just bought two sets of u-joints an hour earlier, I insisted that we replace at least one set. My thinking was that it never hurts to put on new u-joints, plus I'd get an education in the process. Two hours later Mr Fixit pronounced my #@!% u-joints the hardest to replace he's ever seen. We had some good laughs and eventually got one u-joint replaced, almost breaking my bench vice in the process. FYI, I went with American-made Neapco high performance greaseable u-joints from Keller Truck Parts. They were $32 for both sets, but he knocked off $2 because I'm so good looking.

Now, does anyone know how to set the speedometer gear correctly back inside the transfer case?! We removed it to inspect it, but couldn't put it back correctly no matter how hard we tried, so as of now I don't have a speedometer. :bang:

• The speedo gear goes in fine, and the casing sets and seals how it is suppose to but the speedo gear does not make contact with the output shaft in the tcase... I tried a good 4 or 5 times and got nothing...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Update....The Mistaken (aka Mr Fixit) came over today and we did the transfer case drop without a hitch. It's hard to believe, but that little angle difference solved the vibration problem!

did you take the lift back off too since you dropped it that one inch? might as well right.... :suspicious:

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• Yea I tried all four of em. I am planning to go back up there tonight and play with it and make it work.

• did you take the lift back off too since you dropped it that one inch? might as well right.... :suspicious:

I surely hope so. Why worry about performance as long as it is nice and tall right? Shoot, aren't there some 36" Swampers FS on here as well? 5th gear is WAY overrated anyways. Probably should spring for an aftermarket cage though eh? :doh:

• Why do you guys always have to knock what someone else is doing? Not like he is going for an off-road only rig where every little inch matters. For the amount of wheeling that 60% of people do, a tcase drop is fine.

• Yes, things are back to normal and my posing career is right on schedule. Even the engine light has gone out. All I need now is a West Side Wheeler bobblehead doll for my dashboard. :up:

• I wasn't knockin anyone's choices. A t-case drop is perfectly fine for some people. I just didn't under the theroy of "if you have a t-case drop you might as not have a lift at all".

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• I wasn't knockin anyone's choices. A t-case drop is perfectly fine for some people. I just didn't under the theory of "if you have a t-case drop you might as not have a lift at all".

That is the joy of taking someone's words out of context. I wasn't knocking anyone either, simply stating an opinion about an idea more complex than a simple tcase drop. I love it when people comment on a partial statement...

Glad the problem got fixed. :up:

• Boys, we're all friends here! This forum topic has generated some good comments all around, and I truly appreciate them all. I realize some people are more hard core than others. I'm probably right there in the middle trying to walk that tightrope between offroad functionality and street comfort/looks.

And I was just kidding about the bobblehead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!