Some'in don't feel right........

• How big of an issue is it if when I go from park to drive, or drive to reverse, I sometimes get a pop like noise when I start to excellerate (can kinda feel it as well)? It only happens sometimes.......so far. I had it looked at and they said everything looks fine but there was a little play in my drive shaft but that is common for jeeps? Does that sound right? All I know is it didn't used to happen and now it does....usually that's a sign of something worse coming in my experience.

Oh yeah, it's an 04 TJ 4.0 automatic with BDS lift t-woods shaft/SYE kit.....blah blah blah

• Probably meant " Park to Reverse " :laughabove:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Probably meant " Park to Reverse " :laughabove:

Man speaking of that. Listening to 93.5 the beach the other day. They convinced these two kids to take their 80 some odd car out onto a back road, do 50, and then throw it into reverse... They had the guys on the air via cell phone the entire time... Hilarious... Apparently parts of the trans came through the floor and all. I have always wanted to do that just to say that I have... HAHA

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• They tried that on Mythbusters and nothing happens. It WON'T go into reverse and the older cars that did go in just made horrific grinding noises but did no damage. Something built into newer cars that prevents that. In automatics anyway. Not sure on manuals.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• They tried that on Mythbusters and nothing happens. It WON'T go into reverse and the older cars that did go in just made horrific grinding noises but did no damage. Something built into newer cars that prevents that. In automatics anyway. Not sure on manuals.

Not all cars are like that, though. you can throw a 2001 XJ from drive into reverse while moving. :doh: I wasn't going very fast, but it chirped the tires and stalled the motor. You can through it all the way into park if you wanted to.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

A little off topic I know but... Not sure what you mean by newer but a 2003 Tacoma with an Automatic will go from 50 MPH into reverse. Don't ask me how I know, it was not intentional... :doh:

• funny, mine does the same thing, it is kind of a repetitive pop noise. i have convinced myself that it is a tranny mount gone bad. it only happens in higher torque situations (going up hill, mud, rocks..etc.) i am runnin a 97 tj 2" suspension lift, with a t-case lower kit....but i replaced the U-Joints on the rear drive shaft, and my drive line is straighter then stock!!!

• Doesn't mean anything. I can only assume it is a 97. Tranny mounts are something that does not last 11 years. They are designed to flex and so on and so forth. Normal things that flex do not have a long life.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• let me clarify, LOL. I only hear/feel it when I'm moving in one direction, stop, and then shift and move in another direction. It only happens on initial excelleration. So like when I pull into my drive way, stop, shift into reverse, and push the gas to back into my garage.

• well I have already replaced my rear axle, and the noise never went away. but i have not touched my body mounts. do you know what Jeep did to "fix" this in later years?

• oh, and does anyone run a polyurethane tranny mount? what are the benefits?

Yes, it is sturdier and allows less flex in the drivetrain than stock. However, it transmits more vibration and sound into the cab. It isn't obnoxious though, just takes a couple days to get used to. I added it when I installed the Clayton crossmember and skids.

• I would look into the trans mounts, they are cheap enough to use as a troubleshooting option. You never know. And what you are describing is what would happen when a trans mount goes bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!