Crazy?

• "crazy symptoms" 90 yj 2.5 jeep running fine... then jeep battery ran down, charged ,good for few days, then same, turned over three or four times slow then click click click. bought new battery,installed but right away same thing, turned over three or four times slow then click click click?? brand new batt 12+ volts, any ideas ... solenoid , does it have a starter relay, voltage regulator in alternator , what??? crazy

• First few cranks can drain it. If the starter relay is stuck, then it has a constant drain almost as if you are trying to start it. The Alternator is the same way. It will run fine and seem to charge, but within a few hours it would be dead again...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• i just had the same thing with my xj.. it would crank once or twice then click like the bat was low, but i read like 11 volts.. it turned out that my starter was shorting out due to my oil filter adapter leaking on it for a few months.. will it do the same thing if you just jump the starter?

• In some cases when a starter begins to fail it will draw ridiculous amperage from your battery...maybe even enough to kill or damage your new battery.

I say starter, I have had quite a few starters over draw on my battery. but i do a lot of water crossings and deep mud

• sound like one of your lead wires are bad black or red , first do a load ck on the batt ,and make sure you are getting anywhre between 13.5 and 14.5 volts charging ,but load test with a good charge load test should be around 13 charge give or take this is your average charging rate anything above 15 the or below 13 the voltage reg is going bad in the alt ,unless you have a seperate exernal voltage reg,starter will also give you same outcome on the relay , then ck those wires as stated and let us Know how you make out ,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!