...another CB thread

• I'm going to hard wire a CB in the YJ rather than use the handheld I used in the KJ. Q-tec and 4wd.com sell three units between them, a Uniden Pro that lists at 7 watts, and two Cobras, a std. unit and the all-in-one unit that list as 4 watts. Is the 7 watts for real? If so, since they're the same price, wouldn't I want more power (power is goooood). Do the standard configurations have speakers built in to the bottom of the units or do I need to buy a speaker too? The handheld Cobra...does that all-in-one mic also have a speaker built in too, or is it in the "head" unit? I'm leaning towards the Uniden because of the power and the housing is metal, but I'm open to REASONABLE, PRACTICAL, and RELATIVE comments on CB RADIOS.

Thanks!
    DrJ

• It must be a type-o or not a CB. CB's are regulated by the FCC to be 4watts. I think some of the hand held ones are 5watts, but legally none are 7watts.

Most of them have a speaker out the bottom of the CB. I've heard of people saying they couldn't hear the speaker, so they put an external speaker closer to them. Some have mounted them on the roll bar. I have a cobra 18, and it has a front firing speaker.

• Quote from "DrJ"

I'm going to hard wire a CB in the YJ rather than use the handheld I used in the KJ. Q-tec and 4wd.com sell three units between them, a Uniden Pro that lists at 7 watts, and two Cobras, a std. unit and the all-in-one unit that list as 4 watts. Is the 7 watts for real? If so, since they're the same price, wouldn't I want more power (power is goooood). Do the standard configurations have speakers built in to the bottom of the units or do I need to buy a speaker too? The handheld Cobra...does that all-in-one mic also have a speaker built in too, or is it in the "head" unit? I'm leaning towards the Uniden because of the power and the housing is metal, but I'm open to REASONABLE, PRACTICAL, and RELATIVE comments on CB RADIOS.

Thanks!
    DrJ

Steve-

I've ran a couple of different ones in various Jeeps...I had an oldschool Uniden trucker-style unit in my CJ and more recently put the Cobra 19-something (small, cheap and like $40) in the MJ. Both served my purpose well, not looking for extreme range as most communication is with a close group on the highway and trail. I can say this much, though, while the builtin speaker was fine in the MJ I could never hear the speaker in my CJ until I added an external unit. This thread actually comes at the perfect time as I need to put one in the TJ for the 18th and I'm trying to decide whether to move what I've got or upgrade. I'm partial to the Cobra 75 (small hidden box w/ all controls on mic) for the TJ's as there's really no "nice" place to mount a CB with the minivan dash...we'll see, depends on how cheap I'm feeling after all the other toys for the TJ.

--Ian

• Yeah, I've been surfing CBs and everyone but Q-tec says the Uniden 510ProXL is 4 watts. The Cobra all-in-one offers an external speaker that can be voice activated! (hmmmm...maybe NOT a good idea!). Another Uniden for a few bucks more has a front throw speaker. Sounds like that might be a good upgrade. I like the idea of the Cobra all-in-one, but on a trail ride, I guess I'd drop the mic in my lap while driving, and might not hear it if it fell face down. I'm also trying to get it installed by the 18th, but can live with the handheld if I have to. Quadna has the Cobra all-in-one I think, maybe he'll post on if it has been hard to hear, etc.

DrJ

• from Q-tec:

UNIDEN PRO 510 CB RADIO UNIDEN PRO
    Price: $ 78.95 Buy Now
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

This radio is an Uniden PRO 510XL 40 channel professional mobile CB that's compact in size to fit almost anywhere in your rig - and is backed by a limited two year warranty. An accurate 4-segment LED meter displays the signal strength & receiver. The oversized channel knob makes it easy to select any of the forty channels, a large easy-to-read LED display shows the channel currently in use. The 7 Watts of audio output is almost twice as much as any other CB. The rugged metal housing and professional quality microphone ensures years of dependable use.

DrJ (hey Artie...wassup here?)

• I also have the cobra and it seems to be pretty nice the only problem is that it goes kida wacky when it is really cold out but after it warms up it is fine, you can also try the truck stop down in Md they have a bunch of CB stuff and they are reasonable on price and it saves shipping..

nicks (.02 cents)

• Quote from "Jeepman92185"

...the only problem is that it goes kida wacky when it is really cold out...

What's "wacky" mean?

DrJ :hmm:

• I have the Cobra 19xIII which is a smaller unit. I got it for $40 off ebay and have been extremely happy with it. When you tune the antenna properly, the range is incredible. I know that Qtec carries that model as do the truck stops down on Elkton Rd. Travel america has a huge selection of CBs, and all the accessories you could ever want.

HTH

-Chris

• Regardless of which one I settle on, I'll need a 10-15' antenna cable to go from the back corner to the CB unit up front. Where's a good place in Dover to get something like that?

DrJ

• Quote from "JeepSahara"

I have the Cobra 19xIII which is a smaller unit. I got it for $40 off ebay and have been extremely happy with it. When you tune the antenna properly, the range is incredible. I know that Qtec carries that model as do the truck stops down on Elkton Rd. Travel america has a huge selection of CBs, and all the accessories you could ever want.

HTH

-Chris

IIRC Chris' is the same one that's in my MJ...mine came from the Elkton truck stop :rollsmile: The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it always defaults to channel 9...if I turn the ignition off on the trail I have to remember to change the channel back when we get moving again.

--Ian

• Quote from "DrJ"

Regardless of which one I settle on, I'll need a 10-15' antenna cable to go from the back corner to the CB unit up front. Where's a good place in Dover to get something like that?

DrJ

Radio Shack Is a good place for cb's and acc.
    Remember no matter what cb you decide on, it is only as good as the cable and antenna.
    Depending on which cb you get check the paper work that comes w/ it as there are 2 or 3 different cables you can buy however the one you buy will recomend which cable to use
    One is a number 57 the other is 58 might be a third not sure
    Again check the paper work
    Don't Forget to get the antenna tuned Very important
    Think someone in the club has a SWR meter used to tune ant.
    I got my cb from wally world
    The cable from my dad
    And the ant. from a place called M&D elect. in delmar
    Total cost.....$69
    That included getting the ant. tuned
    Pretty happy w/ it just need a ext. speaker
    Mine is mounted in the rubi to the center console in back vertically
    Check it out on Saturday if you want
    Sorry for the long post

• Ok, after all of this, I'm now leaning towards the Uniden with a front throw speaker. I found a hump mount to put the radio under the dash on the floor forward of the shifter boot. Now I'm looking for about a 15' length of antenna cable to run to the back (I want to use the same antenna for my Paragon flag). I probably then need resistor wires/plugs to kill the spark noise.

DrJ

• This looks like the CB that I have. It has good range and is easy to use. I have it mounted on the passenger side of the transmission hump, with the mic up on the dashboard. The unit is out of the way (at least for the driver) but easily accessible.

Your antenna mount is just as important -- what are you thinking about? I like the idea of a mount that comes out from under the hood, drivers side, like I have on the Durango. I'm not keen on my rear mount, and am considering ditching it.

Here's an interesting web site by Firestik.

• Ive got some kind of no name brand cb that was purchased from wally world and it works fine for me. I also purchased an external speaker cause i couldnt hear crap. Now its almost too loud. As for the cable, I got that from r & r communications like tug boat said also Purchased a wilson flexible antenna from them and I love it. It will bend every which way and will not break, its great for up north here going through parking garages. Finally i have a whole bunch of the cable from my dads old stationary Cb. If you want it its yours. You can either cut it and recrimp and end on it or you can use it as is.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!