headlights

• I went with the Hella Vision Plus' after reading an article in JP magazine, and considering the price and overall payoff these seemed like the best choice
    http://jp.automotive.com/26393…shootout/delta-hella.html

Quadratec gave them to me for a great price, discount/free shipping

• we always recommend the Hella Vision Plus for TJ, the deltas just arent bright at all, very poor pattern...thats unless you spring for HIDs, no comparison obviously....

• So what exactly is necessary to upgrade to a higher wattage bulb without melting stuff?

just add a wire (properly sized, of coarse) from the battery to the light, with a relay on it for low beam and another for high beam. Took about an hour when I put them in Cody's jeep replacing his burnt wiring harness took quite a bit longer

• I was running Hella E-code housings, 100/170 watt IPF H4's, and an 12 gauge, fused, dual relayed, custom wiring harness that I recommended to Jerry that he linked up a few posts. I never melted anything, but that was in an XJ. I'll be doing the same in my TJ once I get one.

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• I run the IPF conversion with Fatboys in my CJ and the difference was astounding. Will be putting them in the TJ eventually. I did not install relays, but that is a good idea.

• Again, I 100% recommend the upgraded heavy duty wiring harness.

Factory wiring harnesses are usually 16-18 gauge wiring and have lots of wiring to boot. Figure if you're putting out 12 volts from the battery, the loss of voltage by the time it gets to the light bulbs can be tremendous. The upgraded wiring harness you can buy from Susquehanna Motorsports is made for you! If you are running non factory lights, or just stock/H4 lights, they can customize it however you want. The typical one they sell for our applications is 12 gauge wiring, 2 Bosch/Hella relays (one for low beam, one for high beam), and a fuse. It runs directly off the battery, using one of the factory plugs (closest to the battery) as the "switch" to know when to turn on/off. It's a great setup. Most of the harness comes in a protective strong rubber covering as well.

I run 1 in my Camaro with HID's/Projectors, and one in my Jeep.

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• Or you could take 30 mins out of your day and wire it yourself. Not too hard, a couple of relays and a soldering gun, go to town. FYI CJ light wiring harness is 14 ga if I am not mistaken. Do not know about the rest of the Jeeps out there.

• Or you could take 30 mins out of your day and wire it yourself. Not too hard, a couple of relays and a soldering gun, go to town. FYI CJ light wiring harness is 14 ga if I am not mistaken. Do not know about the rest of the Jeeps out there.

i'm sure i could find a tech how-to write-up somewhere, but i have quite a few projects that are higher on my priority list than rewiring my lights. plug-and-play would be nice.

btw, my application is XJ
    <<<--------------------

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• John: I used the same harness on my '93 YJ, my '93 XJ, and will be using it on my '97 TJ. It is plug and play. Takes about 15-30 mins on an XJ. Hardest part is just routing the wires. I just pop off the grille since it's easy on an XJ, push the battery a little out of the way, and I am good. Let me find a shot of my engine compartment...

Photo is BIG:
    http://pafirefighter11.smugmug…tos/368348324_XW8op-O.jpg

You can see the relays on there. I just hurried up and installed it in 15 mins, but you can make it look nice if you care. I was performance over looks at that point lol.

The harness is in the back of my Camaro right now... so I can grab it and take a photo if anyone wants to see...?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!