? about fuel pump

• will runing out of gas damage the fuel pump? i ran out and now it dosnte seem to be send fuel to my engine. it will start if i drop some gas in the carb but it doesnt stay on for long. only about two seconds.

thanks
    luis

• running outta gas can over heat a fuel pump, so yes it can hurt it. the pump is submerged in fuel, whihc it uses to keep it cool.

• Is it your CJ or YJ? I don't think it'll hurt a mechanical fuel pump but an electric it could suck up dirt from the bottom of the tank and clog the sock and or jam up the pump.

• its my yj. Is there anything electrical that would affect it? i was told that the fuse for the dome lamp also ran the pump. i checked that and it was fine. is there anything else electrical that i should check?

• Wouldn't an '87 YJ have a mechanical fuel pump since it has a carburetor?

Sounds like you have a clogged fuel line. You may have picked up some sludge from the gas tank when you ran it dry.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It could be a 2.5 L , that would have FI, with a throttle body.. Up to 92 in a 258 would be carbs. But I think they still have a low pressure electric in the tank.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Remove the fuel filter and change it. If you picked up sludge then it's probably clogged. While you have it disconnected, disconnect the fuel line from where it connects to the engine and blow it out with compressed air. If it still doesn't work when you re-attach everything then you can drop the tank to see if the pick up screen in the tank is clogged or check the carb/fuel intake to see if something is gunked up in that. I'd do the intake before dropping the tank. BUT if you DO find it was sludge picked up in the tank then you may want to drop the tank anyway to check it's integrity.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• its my yj. Is there anything electrical that would affect it? i was told that the fuse for the dome lamp also ran the pump. i checked that and it was fine. is there anything else electrical that i should check?

right under the drivers fender a harness drops to the fuel tank. the orange wire is the power to the pump. use a tester and check it.
    if all is good, have someone lay under the rear of the jeep and listen to the fuel tank closely when u turn the key "on". should hear the pump running. THEN, disconnect the fuel line from the carb. turn the key on. u should e getting fuel/air out of the line.....
    just a few troubleshooters before you start dropping tanks and whatnot. think u can drop the electric and hook up a mechanical off the side of the block for about 15 bucks at autozone. NO ELECTRIC... i love it.

• still kind of confused about the carb/electric fuel pump combo. are you positive u have an electric fuel pump AND carb???

• 1987 YJ with 4 cylinder w/ TBI fuel injection.

i will try everything before i drop the tank. thanks for all the help.

does the dome light fuse also run the pump?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!