tire width

• Alright guys so im trying to buy some new tires by the end of summer... i wanna get 33" tires but the ones i want come in 12.5" wide or 15.5" wide for 30 bucks more... what would be better?.. my tj is a 4 banger.. i do a lot of highway drivin.. but i still like to get it muddy when i can and i want the best performance.. whats your opinion?

• better consider buying a set of gears as well, being as you will lose 5th gear in your "highway driving"

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• Plenty for what?
    How much lift do you have?

You have stick or auto?

wildcat, the best way to get help is to provide adequate information about your rig and your usage of it.

everyone here is very helpful, but no one wants to have to conduct an interrogation. :innocent:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• agree that you definitely need to povide more info to get the best advice but if your rims aren't wider than 10" then I don't think you can even mount 33x15.50's on them. Not to mention the rubbing issues tires that wide will mostly likely create........

I think 33x12.50 is a great tire size for appearance and the on-road/off-road performance balance that most need from a daily driver. Plus they will fit on stock rims but you could always grab a set of 15 or 16 x 10" rims to get a little more rubber on the pavement/mud

• agree that you definitely need to povide more info to get the best advice but if your rims aren't wider than 10" then I don't think you can even mount 33x15.50's on them. Not to mention the rubbing issues tires that wide will mostly likely create........

I think 33x12.50 is a great tire size for appearance and the on-road/off-road performance balance that most need from a daily driver. Plus they will fit on stock rims but you could always grab a set of 15 or 16 x 10" rims to get a little more rubber on the pavement/mud

sorry guys im new to this and the whole jeep thing being that this is my first jeep.. but thanks for the advice it should help a lot.. and when u say the 15 x 10" rims will get more on the road how is that?

• a narrower rim will pull the bead in narrower, which will cause the side wall to "tilt in", if you will. this will pull the edge/shoulder of the tread off of the ground. this will not be a huge amount, but will affect tread wear. one benifit of a narrower rim, though, is that it will be better protected from side impact from rocks or other hard things.

since you are new to the jeep thing, i would really try to guess what direction you want ur jeep to go in. i use the word "guess" because it will almost certianly change, but u should have a good idea now. for just about anything, the 12.5 wide tire will work fine. the 15.5 would not handle well on the road, and really hurt your mpg. with what you currently have and 33x12.5 inch tires, it is a pretty safe bet that the jeep can do more than you would feel comfortable doing. even with the 33's your hwy performance will suffer, but 35's will be horrible unless u regear, engine swap...

i would recomend 33x12.5 on a 15x8 rim. these are both common sizes, easy to find, and relativly inexpensive. thats what i have and am happy with.

good luck with ur project, and let us know how it turns out :driving:

• Don't forget the weight of the tire/wheel combo...that extra 3" of width will come at the added expense of even less power, acceleration, and mileage. Even different tires of the same size can differ greatly in weight. I can personally attest to the fact that a 4-banger w/ 33s or 35s sucks but if you're willing to deal with it then more power to you. The only reason I lifted Jen's and put 35's on it was 1) to keep the wife happy and 2) I've got 351 cubic inches waiting to occupy that engine compartment at some point in the future.

IMHO the 'ideal' combo for a 4-cyl if you really wanna lift it is a budget boost, 1" BL, and light/narrow 33....but, it ain't mine so :shrug:

--Ian

• IMHO the 'ideal' combo for a 4-cyl if you really wanna lift it is a budget boost, 1" BL, and light/narrow 33....but, it ain't mine so :shrug:

X2

Saw a set of 33x10.50r15 BFG AT's a couple weeks back and they looked good with a BB. When he got the cash he was going to add a BL & MML. The kid had a 4 cyl TJ and he was pretty happy with the look and driveability. He saved a fair amount of weight by going with a 10.50 width. They were mounted on black 15x7 Jeep rims from an XJ. It really did look sharp for a minimal investment, far better that the 225's he had on to start with.

• hey thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it.. like i said im new to this so ill prob be posting alot about advice.. and i look a lot on quadratec and rustys for tires and what not so i beleive that it was on oneof those i saw the 15.5 for like 30-50 more ea.. oh ya and if yall got anymore advice its much appreciated.. thanks

• If your a quadratec kinda guy, then lets make this a little easier for you:

Want 33's a mild lift to accomodate them and lose alot of power/lose 5th gear simply go this route or something similar:

Budge Boost and shocks: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_400.htm

JKS body lift: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16067_00.htm

Quick Disco's or something similar: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16160_01.htm

and your choice of tires/rims that you find, i suggest keeping your eye out on the boards and finding a set of used 33's and rims, theyre available very often it seems.

Want 33's a mild lift to accomate them and back to stock power and abilities to touch 70mph again? simply go this route or something similar:

Lift and all above plus:

4.88's for the front D30 axle: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_91X_B_PG.htm

Install kit: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_702.htm

4.88's for rear D35 axle: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52440_05X_PG.htm

Install kit: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52440_104.htm

Now whether you buy from quadratec or not is up to you, there are many vendors out there that offer great deals and free shipping and all that jazz IE Northridge 4x4, Bob Supplee, and others will chime in im sure.

I ran the 2"BB 1"JKS BL and 33's set up for almost 2 years, 5 months with stock gears and a 4spd, and still currently pushing 33's on a RE 3.5" lift with the 4.88's, touching highway speeds like it was stock.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• hey thanks slick i was actually lookin into a lot of those upgrades! and the gear ratio i actually just re did all my differentials a couple months ago... and not knowin about the whole ratio thing i just reordered stock :doh: so ill prob have to wait a lil on that.. and erock.. im not big into trail ridin cause first off... my jeeps my everyday.. and second off i dont have the money for major damage.. so mainly just ruts, mud and hills at the c & d canal

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!