Newbie help w/ TJ

• Hey everyone :wavey: ,
    I'm in need of some help with my TJ and am looking for someone who might be able to spare some time to help me. I just want to get my baby fixed ::xmasunhappy . My problem is not due to lack of enthusiasm...more of a lack of the right tools and working knowledge :doh: . I'm loosing power steering fluid (hoping its just a gasket :sniffle: ) but before I go taking anything apart, I'd like to have someone there who at least knows what it should look like when out back together (not: well, I didn't have to use these extra bolts here :spinrhead: ) My other problem is my rpms flux while idle and I backfire sometime while driving :shrug: . I hate it :upset: (not my Jeep). I want to get this fixed so I can start making some trail rides and getting dirty and having fun. My Jeep's my only means of wheels...so anything happens to her I'm :soapbox: . Any help would be greatly appreciated and mean alot to me ::xmasgrin . Happy holidays everyone! :santawave

• I'm probably no help with the power steering fluid leak, although I do have the Factory Service Manual for my 2000 TJ if you need to borrow it.

For the rough idle, when was the last tune up? Maybe it's in need of new plugs and wires or injection cleaner? Just some thoughts.

• Is your TJ still under warranty? My TJ was leaking lots of power steering fluid. The dealer replaced the steering box for no charge.

• If your losing fluid then you have to have a wet spot somewhere on the engine. Check the power steering fittings for tightness. Feel around for the fittings for wet spots. Check the hoses for any knicks. If it were a supply line it would be coming out with pressure. The return lines would not. Did you recently have any work done to the vehicle that might have involved removing the power steering pump, ie: intake and/or exhaust manifold....?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You need to state the model year of your TJ and the Mileage.

If the leak has been there for a long time, please go the car wash (manual power wash) to clean up the area so that you can spot where is the leak.

For the idle and RPM problems, you can go to Autozone and have they check the error codes for your TJ. It is free. After you get the info, please let us know.

If you are near by 141 and 95, you can stop by my office, I can take a look. HTH.

Later,

• FYI: I have a 98 TJ w/ 82K on it, and I have not had any work done near the steering box. I'm assuming the leak was due to a gasket failure (I hope :lie: ) But I'll take your advice and clean up the area with a good wash to get a better look. I don't believe the leak is under pressure but that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about ::xmaswacky .
    As for the idle...I just gave her a tune up about 2.5 months ago w/ new plugs, cap, wires and rotor, along with a new muffler and oil change. But that didn't do it... :shrug: ...maybe a fuel line or O2 sensor (I'll price them out soon...any suggestions on particular or better O2 sensors? or doesn't it even matter?)
    I appreciate the advice...I shall take it all. Thank you. ::xmasgrin
    And Happy Holidays everyone

• Quote from "R_Locke"

I just gave her a tune up about 2.5 months ago w/ new plugs, cap, wires and rotor, along with a new muffler and oil change. But that didn't do it... :shrug: ...maybe a fuel line or O2 sensor (I'll price them out soon...any suggestions on particular or better O2 sensors? or doesn't it even matter?)e

Hmmm....... It iis hard to speculate without reading the computer code. It is unlikely the O2 sensor or the fuel filter. May be the idler sensor or TPS. Those are easy to replace. THe back fire you experienced is directly link to being running too rich. Find the faulty sensor, the back fire problem will be taken care of. HTH.

Later,

• I also have a 98TJ in which I had to replace my steering box due to a leaking gasket on the output shaft of the steering box

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!