• here we go again more death wobble tales.

OK so im starting to get a wobble it has been coming on slow. i thought it was just the bumps i was going over before but now it is starting to show its true colors. hit a little rise in the pavement and steering went crazy. OK so obviously i need to check the bushings in the track bar but my question is how do i know they are bad will they be mushy? or will it be visibly cracking?

also where else should i look?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• here we go again more death wobble tales.

OK so im starting to get a wobble it has been coming on slow. i thought it was just the bumps i was going over before but now it is starting to show its true colors. hit a little rise in the pavement and steering went crazy. OK so obviously i need to check the bushings in the track bar but my question is how do i know they are bad will they be mushy? or will it be visibly cracking?

also where else should i look?

mine was in the lca bushings. get under there and forcefully push and pull on them, as though you were trying to lift up the jeep by pushing them and then pulling it back down. there should be no play or give.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• ok so if one is shot is it worth changing all of the bushing?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• ok so if one is shot is it worth changing all of the bushing?

iirc, my BDS were only available as a left & right set. since it's an easy enough job once you're working under there and have the required tools out, i replaced both the bad one and the good one with the new pair, and kept the old good one as a spare.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• does anyone know the part numbers for the stock bushings in the track bar and control arms?

also if it is the track bar i might just upgrade to an adjustable. are there any recommendations?
    i was looking at Rusty's http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/m…UV&Category_Code=SUS_TRAC
    but i was told that the tie rod ends break on their product. anyone run one of these?

• also if it is the track bar i might just upgrade to an adjustable. are there any recommendations?

KOR's tb conversion eliminates the tie-rod end entirely and allows for much more articulation. it's also much more expensive than the rusty's that you were looking at.
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/tbconversion.html

~ JD

• 90% of the time, it's the trackbar bushing or the axle-mount for the trackbar. An easy test... start the engine and have somebody else turn the steering wheel lock-lock and carefully watch the end of the trackbar. The trackbar will not move because it's attached to the frame, but the axle might. If it moves at all (you can verify by quickly moving the steering wheel back and forth) then you've found a problem. It's usually the bushing, but occasionally the hole in the mount will be bent open ("oval out") which gives you excess play. Either problem will give the same result, but the bushing is easier to fix.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I was wondering what he was talking about. They used a torx bolt for the rear trackbar? weird.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• thanks guys i will check it all out once my driveway drys!!! will it ever stop raining? :doh:

• i had the alignment done and no changes it wobbles at 55ish and goes away at 60 i wiggled every thing on the front nothing seems to be loose except my front sway bar bushings i can see through. would that be causing me issues?

• i had the alignment done and no changes it wobbles at 55ish and goes away at 60 i wiggled every thing on the front nothing seems to be loose except my front sway bar bushings i can see through. would that be causing me issues?

nope that wouldnt be the issue
    im having the same issue in my TJ. it seems the only cure is tightening the track bar alot...

• i think so i guess i should check that before i go replacing all the bushings

• ok so waiting on lowers but noticed something.

had it in 4wd on a friends property and left it in when i left just was no9t paying attention. but i realized when i was on the highway and i had no wobble! so i slowed down took it out of 4wd and got back up to highways speeds and it was back. so i put it back in 4wd for the remanding drive home. any ideas why that would solve the wobble?

i was thinking that there was less force against the control arm bushings since the axle was pulling the jeep instead of the jeep pushing the axle.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!