33 Eng. vs Rokmen High Clearance Skid Plates

• While shape matters obviously, you can have crappy steel or aluminum that is amazingly strong. It is all about the materials and manufacturing process. No doubt it is going to cost some money but I would love to see more aluminum armor out there because my rig is getting pretty darn heavy...

• We can make em brian, Some 3000 series Aluminum. I am going to be getting some aluminum rear corner guard things eventually, once I am done with the stuff that actually helps me on the trail first.

While geometric shapes is what gives most aluminum its strength, there is some aluminum plate that is very strong. 7000 and 8000 series aluminum, pound for pound, is as strong as common steel. The weakness of that though, is that steel is malleable and aluminum is not. Where steel will just dent, ding or bend, aluminum will break and crack.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 4500 pounds might have a cargo capacity of 2000 pounds, meaning it can have a gross weight of 6500 pounds when fully loaded.

Curb weight (US) or Kerb weight (UK) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g. motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.[1][2]

curb weight from your link is 4700lbs. which is less than Brian's stated 5000lbs but pretty damn close with passenger and tools

• curb weight from your link is 4700lbs. which is less than Brian's stated 5000lbs but pretty damn close with passenger and tools

What he said. Take the weight of the driver away from both and it is still an apples to apples comparison. :innocent: And I am not counting loading each rig to the max with crap. I would probably still be close to the same max weight. ;D And who could ever compete with the bloated POS that an H2 is (Chuckwagen's H2 non-withstanding. He and his H2 rocked the trails at GWNF last fall. ;D).

My point is, aluminum would be a great addition to my (or anyone else's) "armor" package as long as it was tough enough to hold up. My Raptor (ATV) has all aluminum skids and not only are they tough, but they have the alloy figured out so well that it will actually bend like steel instead of cracking/ripping like many of the early aluminum allows would. Mountain bike frames are another great example of this advancement in materials and processes...

Actually, my real point is, many of the "built" rigs around here weigh more than an H3 so the statement was wrong. :razz:

• Here's a pic of the one blaine (Savvy Off Road) has been running on his rig for six years and I think he wheels in JV, those boys play hard out there.

Like has been said, it's all about the alloy used.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!