Fender Flares and Door Molding

• Hey guys, sort of new to Jeeps, but not to automobiles. I am just wondering if you can paint the stock plastic bumpers on the doors?? I am tired of the faded look, I have used the back to black products, but don't want to have to do it every other month just to keep it looking good. Also was wondering if it is possible to just remove them all together, and if I do and get rid of all the sealant, what will be left under it, will it look ok without them, I know on most vehicles that have the door side molding they have holes and such for mounting them up under neath, don't want to remove these and have holes and such left under there.. Like I said if nothing else I was thinking about painting them if this is possible until I can afford to get the bushwacker flares, and even then I am wondering if I can paint the side molding, and or remove them all together. If I were to paint them would I be fine with just running some sort of cleaner over them and then priming and painting them?? Thank you for your help in advance.

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• you could paint them, but I don't think they look very good. You need to clean them very well and use something like Krylon Fusion, something designed for plastics.

You can remove them, though. :) They're only held on by adhesive on the doors. The rear bumper corners and flares use a plastic channel to hold them in place.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yeah I found some pics of XJ's without the side door bumpers... I think it looks pretty clean without them. My bumper end caps are actually looking pretty good, but they were already black, now they just have a bit of shine to them... I think I will leave the flares alone until I can get a set of Bushwackers!! I will do the famous search to make sure I can't find it, but does anyone know what modifications have to be made to the cut out fender flares to make them work with the 97-01 XJ's?? I mean I know about the drilling of holes, and cutting out the actual fender under neath, but what modifications do I have to make to the actual flare to make it fit up?? Do the stock flares just snap back onto the channels once I take them off?? After I take the side bumpers off the doors, I might try to clean them up with some acetone, and then try giving them a coat of the Fusion Krylon and see what they come out looking like.. If it looks good, then I will do the flares and then put them back on temp, until I can get the bushwackers!!

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• the Cherokee classics had painted plastic look into getting a set of them they are smooth to begin with the sports have a texture to them.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!