Using a power inverter

• I never thought to ask this before, but I am wondering if it's necessary to run (idle) the engine while a power inverter is being used. I'm headed out camping later today and will likely use my inverter to run my Mr. Coffee tomorrow morning. Idling the motor doesn't produce enough RPMs to kick in the alternator to recharge the battery anyway, right? But, I'd hate to sacrifice my battery just for a cup of coffee. Anyone?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• i use a power inverter every day in my van at work running a key cutting machine and the van is at idle the hole time and my inverter is a very big one. the only problem i see is coffee pots have a large draw, my friend tried it on his that plugged in to the cig lighter an it was over powering the inverter popping the internal fuse. hope my info helps let me know if you have any other questions

• True that they do draw a lot because of the heating element. With a large enough inverter, I've seen it work before. I forget what size though.

If you find you need a little more throttle to keep the coffee maker going, you could always install one of these:
    http://www.4x4xplor.com/handthrottle.html

• I hardly think you have an inverter big enough to run a coffee pot if it is the one you used at the parade. That being said the reason we switched from generators to alternators is they don't have to spin as quickly to generate power. Your alternator will supply power at idle. You may also be using more power than it can supply at idle so you may want to rev the engine once in awhile.

• I have a microwave (normal size) in my work van on a 3000 watt inverter and when I use it I do let the van idle. I also run drills, chargers etc... all day long on it if necessary and low amperage draws I don't worry about the van even being on. Larger draws sometimes won't let the equipment work right unless the van is on.

Make sure the inverter you purchased is rated large enough to run the coffee machine. Also realize that the PEAK of the inverter (ie. 500w-1000w) does not mean the inverter can run at 1000w. Its a 500 w inverter that can take a short spike to 1000w to make a motor start.

My inverter is a 3000w to 6000w inverter so a microwave is a very small load. I got a large one for my hammer drills and hole hawgs that we run on jobsites. I used to carry a generator but hate lugging it around with gas in the van. I will say, make sure you turn it off though. If I leave mine on on accident over a weekend, it kills my battery by Monday. ( :laughing:)

I also have a 1500 w on my jeep and it's used to run grinders, trouble lights, and when camping just about anything else. I wouldn't do without it but you definitely have to size them correctly.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• yea i run drills an such on mine as well, to stop the killing that battery i installed an large breaker an a lark solenoid hooked to the ignition so it come on when i turn my key on so when the van is off it is off an my van will start on Monday

• part of the police package for the Cherokees is a high idle switch maybe look into that. it was for keeping the batts charge with all the elec equipment i know you can order the components needed

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Only XJs have the high-idle in the computer. TJs are stuck with using a hand throttle. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• well i was reading somewhere (i don't remember exactly) that you can use either the power steering or ac compressor. i guess it ups you idle when there is a load on the ps or ac. do tjs have the same toggle buttons as xjs? then you could use the toggle switch and pigtail and run wiring. on the xj it is just grounding out a certain pin on the ecu.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• The AC compressor is usually only a slight increase, like 100rpm. XJs had a police package that used a switch to ground out pin 12 on the computer in Park or Neutral. I think it set the idle to around 1000rpm (instead of the normal 600-700rpm idle). TJs did not offer a police package, afaik.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!