death wobble!

• I finally figured out my death wobble issue!
    track bar was kinda loose at the top, tires were toed in, and ball joints probably need replacing.
    but ball joints aside, I think I beat the wobble...
    longer brake lines need to go on, and I'm ready for wheelin!

Does anyone know a cheap place for alignments? sears was about $70...and they didn't do a very good job, i went back 3-4 times until they got it right.
    my garage alignment wasn't very good, but it will do for now.

• i go to ntb and get the whatever they call it service that alows you to take it back as much as you want in a year. i think it pays for its self

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• i go to ntb and get the whatever they call it service that alows you to take it back as much as you want in a year. i think it pays for its self

they denied me. ::)

firestone offers the unlimited alignment service, too. iirc, the manager laughed when he looked out the window at my XJ after i asked about the offer. :idiot:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• What size tires are you running? I've got 35's on my TJ. Some places I checked wouldn't even do an alignment, and the one place that did perform the service gave me a disclaimer. They said the tires were basically too big for their equipment and so they'd "do the best they can."

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• that's funny you would think they would want the business. i go even if i think there is a slight alignment issue. go to the 202 one there is a guy that works there with 2 lifted XJs. if i recall the year term is around 90. and they have longer terms as well. but i think its 60-75 to just get an alignment.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• It can be pretty tough to do an alignment on 35" and up tires. My Uncle has a modern 4-wheel alignment system and it took both of us about 2 hours to get it done properly. And he is quite experienced in dealing with large tires as he used to run 42's. Some shops just don't want to take the time and may not have the guys capable of doing a good job even though rigs like our Jeeps are mechanically easy. It is kinda cool to see the huge amount of info available on the modern systems though. The info really helps you be able to fine tune your suspension...

• The ntb on kirkwood hwy is usually pretty jeep friendly. One of the managers there drives a pretty big xj.

I know some places won't be able to do an alignment with 35" tires because the tires are so big they block the alignment heads from communicating side to side. I've experienced this myself while trying to align my truck and jeep on the rack at work.

• that's funny you would think they would want the business.

i can see their point. their primary issue with me is that my steering is no longer stock; the tires are only a secondary consideration. with my aftermarket setup, they said they cannot guarantee that they can properly align the steering. they'd rather not touch it in the first place than not be able to do the job.

you would think they would want the business, but business is about making profit. i have little doubt that they suspected that i'd be making far more frequent returns for alignments than is expected from a normal passenger car.
    (and they'd be right about that :innocent: )

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• yeah that's right, the one on kirkwood also has a guy with a lifted jk on some large rubber. yeah but i go at least 4 times a year they are not making profit off me

• yeah that's right, the one on kirkwood also has a guy with a lifted jk on some large rubber. yeah but i go at least 4 times a year they are not making profit off me

sweet! that is closer to my house.

my mom had some issues with the NTB on 202 awhile back.

• The guy with the white Cherokee at the NTB on 202 is Will. Ask for Will or Chris and tell them who you are.

sweet! that is closer to my house.

my mom had some issues with the NTB on 202 awhile back.

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• all the responses of who does a good alignment. arent jeeps just toe and center steering wheel? i dont see how they can not easily do that and do it right the first time. i work on vw's for a living and some of our cars are 4 wheel with everything adjustable (caster,camber,toe) and yeah they take some time to do but they can be set perfectly.

The biggest problem ive seen is the alignment program gives specs and a window of tolerance and some techs simple get everything in the green even if they are on far side of specs on both sides. you want to find someone who will match the tolerance on the left and right. if left toe is +05 you want right +05. what you dont want is +05 on one side and -05 on the other even though it may be in specs.
    ask for a printout and have them explain the specs and what they mean. also look to see they did a full alignment inspection and all info is on printout. some guys skip the caster sweep because they are lazy effers. caster may not be adjustable on all cars but can tell you if something is bent.
    lastly look at thrust specs. thrust angle is the rear axle perpendicular to the vehicle. if that is out due to shifted axle, worn springs, worn bushings... the rest of the alignment will be poo because most aligmnet equipment uses the rear as the starting point. using the rear sensor locations the eqiupment wants to square the front wheels to the back.

• good info, thanks! :up:

~ JD

• well i took my jeep to the 202 NTB...they kept it for 2.5 hours only to tell me they could not do anything cause my ball joints are bad, and my drag link has too much play... .....2.5 hours.
    this is the second issue my family has had with 202 ntb...never again.

the reason i didn't go to the one on kirkwood was they were booked and said i would have to leave it there. this was yesterday and i wanted it done before the snow came.

• that sucks man did they charge you for looking at it? or did you have them do the work?

• 2.5 hours to wait for them to do oil changes and work on other cars isn't bad (it all depends on the workload) .... they put it up on the rack, checked it out and gave you an honest estimate .... ?

They've always treated me well. A few of them have Jeeps and like the whole lifted truck thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!