89 yj transfer case ??

• i have an 89 yj with a 5 speed. i was wondering if anyone knew what transfer case fluid it takes. i just went to pep boys and they said dexron automatic transmission fluid but that didn't sound right.

• not trying to hijack thread but manual trans will take just about any oil you want from heavy gear oil to plain old engine oil.
    currently have 10-30 in mine for smother shifting in cold weather. summer i put 20-50.

been doing this to all my (manual trans) cars over the years and never had a failure.

• not trying to hijack thread but manual trans will take just about any oil you want from heavy gear oil to plain old engine oil.
    currently have 10-30 in mine for smother shifting in cold weather. summer i put 20-50.

been doing this to all my (manual trans) cars over the years and never had a failure.

IMHO, I would not recomend doing this in an AX-15 or AX-5. You will kill the brass syncros in any of the Aisin tranys by not using a super low sulfer oil like GM syncromesh.

Getting back to your question. You can basically use any atf in a t-case. There really isn't anything to fancy about them that requires special fluid, just dont run them dry.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!