79 CJ-5 Finally on the Road

• I bought this Jeep 4 years ago off a friend at work. Towed the frame home and had boxes of parts in the bed of the truck and no body. Got it road worthy this weekend and tried to inspect today. Failed on CO emissions, so if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. 258 straight 6 with new Weber carb, new cat & exhaust. Got a 30 day temp tag so at least I can have some fun and ring out the other items.

Looking forward to coming to my first club event!

http://stevied91.blogspot.com

• Welcome. :wavey:

I too have a Weber and had to lean it way out, drive it for awhile then took it in and it passed on my 2nd try. Actually, the Midas shop on Kirkwood and Newport Gap Pike helped with the settings.

• Great another '79 CJ5 in the club!

I used to lean the carb out and add IPA to the fuel and fill up with high test. That works but I think it's hard on the motor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Great another '79 CJ5 in the club!

... and add IPA to the fuel ....

So how does adding Beer to the fuel , especially a Yummy India Pale Ale (IPA) help?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Sorry....Isopropyl Alcohol for the rest of you. Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Nice Build and great documentation. I have a 1980 cj5 with a Weber, but I went for the historical tags, which has no inspection required, but that's in Maryland. I don't know if that's an option in Delaware?

• I put the Weber 34 DGEC on - I guess it was the recommended replacement for the original Carter.

Thanks for the input on the dry gas. Seems to be the most common answer on a lot of Jeep forums. I think I can play around with the mixture some more too. Just hate the idea of guessing and having to keep going back through the inspection lanes over and over!

Good thought on the antique tags. My understanding is that in DE, they're only good for vehicles that will be used in shows and parades and does not apply to cars you want to use a fun or daily drives. While this won't be a daily driver, I would like to use it on ever nice sunny day we have!

Anyone going to the Quadratec tent sale and show on Oct 2nd? Might see if mine will make it that far!

• Use drygas instead....look at the back of a bottle of rubbing alcohol and it's >99% water, drygas is (almost) 100% alcohol.

--Ian

Wow you are getting ripped off. My bottle says 50% alcohol but it don't say what the other ingredients are.

You can buy alcohol that is 99%.

• Ugh, dunno what I was smoking the other day...not 99% water, it's a 99% 'concentration' in its purest form and most can vary down to 50%. In other words it ain't all isopropyl and most drugstore bottles are about 1/2 water. Drygas (from what I've seen) is always 100% (99-ish).

--Ian

• Welcome to the club Kent. I found this place years ago (and many Jeep projects ago...) and it has been a great group of people who are always eager to lend a hand. The CJ is gorgeous and I love the build blog, that is a very nice touch. I enjoyed seeing it in the parking lot at work and as I told you on Friday, it caught my eye the minute I stepped out the door. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!