Windshield Replacement on TJ

• Well, I was disappointed that my insurance didn't help me with the cost of replacing the windshield on my 98 TJ. However, I'm scheduled to have it done at Safelite in Dover for $207.90 done deal. They agreed to waive the disposal fee, so I'll have to handle that chore. It's an OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) product and comes with a lifetime warranty.

I mention all this for two reasons. First, to share the info in case someone wants to do the same. Second, to see if anyone knows of a place in the Dover area that can beat that deal.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Chief... I just called Union Auto Glass (302) 369-9040 and they quoted me $175 to replace windshield and they will come to you. They do mobile repairs all the way to Rehobeth beach. Call Footy :o , I swear that's the name he gave me, and he said he can set you up to have it done tomorrow. I've had 3 replacement windshields thru them and their work is excellent. Never had a problem or issue with a repair or piece of glass. Hope this helps you out. :peace:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Oh BTW... they will come to your home or job to do the repair. The cost would be less if you want to take it to their shop as well but not sure how far you want to drive. I think he told me like $109 at the shop.

• Chief... I just called Union Auto Glass (302) 369-9040 and they quoted me $175 to replace windshield and they will come to you. They do mobile repairs all the way to Rehobeth beach. Call Footy :o , I swear that's the name he gave me, and he said he can set you up to have it done tomorrow. I've had 3 replacement windshields thru them and their work is excellent. Never had a problem or issue with a repair or piece of glass. Hope this helps you out. :peace:

Am grateful for the referral. I've made an appointment with them for tomorrow (Wednesday) and will cancel the Safelite appointment. I'll have the work done at my office for $175 done deal, including hauling away the old one. You just saved me $32.90 --- thanks! :up: Jim

• Followup....it's a done deal. Union Auto Glass came to me, and quickly and (I assume) professionally did the job at the stated price. He ALMOST removed my old windshield without cracking it, but as it turned out I had to have him haul it away. I was going to store it and use it as an emergency backup.

What a treat to look through perfect glass for a change! Now...what to do with my 2008, 2009 and 2010 DEJA stickers that he carefully scraped off for me?!

• speaking of repairs, does Union Auto Glass come to you to fix the small chips? something hit my windshield the other day and I need to fix it before it spiders out.

Opie

• First off, I was only going to "hoard" it if the guy could remove it perfectly intact.

Second, it was a little chipped and scratched, but it didn't need to be replaced. I replaced it because this is America and I can. Obama called and said I wasn't doing my part to support the local economy.

Third, yes, Big Dogs does tend to make one want to hoard parts, especially if one attempts to hang with the big dogs.

Fourth, I never asked the guy about doing chip repairs -- my bad. But, yes, he did come to my workplace and did it all while I watched. Pretty interesting process. I give Union Auto Glass a thumbs up! :up:

• Am grateful for the referral. I've made an appointment with them for tomorrow (Wednesday) and will cancel the Safelite appointment. I'll have the work done at my office for $175 done deal, including hauling away the old one. You just saved me $32.90 --- thanks! :up: Jim

Always a good felling to help someone out. ;D -Jeremiah

• speaking of repairs, does Union Auto Glass come to you to fix the small chips? something hit my windshield the other day and I need to fix it before it spiders out.

Opie

Chip repairs work as follows:
    1.) in shop $50
    2.) mobile repair is like $95

-chip must be smaller than half dollar coin
    -if it ever starts cracking from the area that it was sealed the cost of the chip repair will be honored towards the replacement of the windshield.
    -would definately go w/ Quadna's plan and get the do it yourself kit. Or just be like me and let it spider out for 2 years till price of the $485 windshield ('05 Kia Sportage <POS>) becomes aftermarket and goes down.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!