Stock JKU on Trail runs

• Hello all, I'm planning on applying to join your club come the new year as this is when I will have the mandatory equipment on my JK for runs. I was hoping to gain some info on how well I will be able to keep up with you on trail runs with my stock JK. My only wheeling experience is when I was in the Army and wheeling my Hummer. Here are the stats on my JKU:

2008 JK unlimited X
    Auto trans
    3.73 gears
    255/75/17 Goodyear SR-A (crappy street tires)

I am planning on upgrading my tires to something that will be good for offroad wither the Bf goodrich KM, or the Goodyear MT/Rs

Any thoughts?

• You will do fine on the milder stuff.

It's amazing what a stock Jeep can do.

How much do you all do on the milder side? I would like to join and run with you all, but I don't want to hold anyone back. Do you take different groups on different trail levels? I am planning on getting a 2-3" lift with some larger tires but that wont be till next year. I want to get the lift and tires at the same time so that I can upgrade at once.

• How much do you all do on the milder side? I would like to join and run with you all, but I don't want to hold anyone back. Do you take different groups on different trail levels? I am planning on getting a 2-3" lift with some larger tires but that wont be till next year. I want to get the lift and tires at the same time so that I can upgrade at once.

Depends on the turnout what's run.

But yes they normally will run separate groups.

Billy, our Trail Boss will probably have some to add to this.

• I am planning on upgrading my tires to something that will be good for offroad wither the Bf goodrich KM, or the Goodyear MT/Rs

Any thoughts?

From what I have seen on the trails, both are good tires but the MTR's seem to be a little more durable. I really haven't heard a bad thing about the Kevlar MTR's.

Do you take different groups on different trail levels?

Yes. Almost all of our runs have a lower group. Randy (Shorebird on the board) is the best trail guide I've ever met. He's usually at the trail rides.

As for the stock Jeep, I usually take my stock JKU out about once a year and it is such a blast. As said, it is amazing what you can do with a stock Jeep. You just have to be careful with the stock skids as mine are pretty messed up. They are paper thin.

The trail run schedule is below in my signature. I haven't got 2011 figured out yet but I will post that up by mid to late December hopefully.

Hope to see you out!!! :driving:

• Yeah I will for sure check out the 2011 trail schedule. By then I will have my front tow hooks. I have no idea why my JK did not come with front tow hooks; it seems to me that they are standard parts. anyway once I get them I will have all the mandatory gear for the JK and you will see me out there.

I have the itch to take the JK offroad and im looking forward to Rausch creek and the pine barrens.

• Yeah I will for sure check out the 2011 trail schedule. By then I will have my front tow hooks. I have no idea why my JK did not come with front tow hooks; it seems to me that they are standard parts. anyway once I get them I will have all the mandatory gear for the JK and you will see me out there.

I have the itch to take the JK offroad and im looking forward to Rausch creek and the pine barrens.

Yeah...I agree, not sure why they aren't standard. To be honest, you'd be fine without them given the trails you are looking to do. You're not going to get stuck to the point that you could't use an axle as an anchor point.

I see you mentioned the pine barrens. My only comment is that you should try to avoid swamping your Jeep or I guarantee you'll be selling it or cursing very loudly at it within a year. Just sayin. ;)

• Yeah...I agree, not sure why they aren't standard. To be honest, you'd be fine without them given the trails you are looking to do. You're not going to get stuck to the point that you could't use an axle as an anchor point.

I see you mentioned the pine barrens. My only comment is that you should try to avoid swamping your Jeep or I guarantee you'll be selling it or cursing very loudly at it within a year. Just sayin. ;)

I mentioned the Pine Barrens cause its close. I have never been there and dont really know what type of terrain it has to offer. I dont like to mud bog or swamp as you put it. I dont mind getting dirty at all but I like more trail type technical stuff.

• Most relocation kits put it above the rear axle since there is a good foot of room there. I personally bought the poison spyder skid since it's the best skid for height clearance and I wanted to keep the factory warranty. People who have done the relocation say that it will void the warranty.

I can also tell you that I took my stock jku on the trails of rauch creek a few weeks after buying it and I had no off road experience and she surprised me on what she did. It is nice that the stock jk are a little bit higher than the other stock wranglers from previous years.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!