BlueJ Failed Inspection (Again)

• Two years just fly by when the jeep is sitting in the driveway... I noticed my tag was expired, so I took BlueJ down to the DMV to see what they were going to fail it on this time. Not too bad... 1) oversize tires (expected), 2) 3rd-brake light, and 3) license plate light. At least I got a 30-day temp tag.

1) Who has a set of tires on rims I can borrow/rent for a few days? I guess I need tires 9 - 10" wide, somewhere 31-33 inches tall, 5 x 4.5 (TJ).

2) Suggestions about installing a third brake light... I have a Warn bumper/with spare tire rack. How hard it is to install a light inside the tire? What about on top of the rack? Or, how about two, attached to the upper rear of the roll cage?

3) Suggestion for a license plan light. The stock rear lamps we replaced long ago by LEDs but I'm still using the stock license plate holder.

Thanks!

Andrew

• Andrew,

You can add a small round LED light to the center of the spare.

It may or may not fly as there is a minimum area requirement and I don't think that will meet it although many have passed with it.

There are various tag lights available. Try NAPA and see what they have.

Many trucks use a separate light for the tag so they are available.

• Andrew,
    I have a set of 31's you can borrow to get through inspection. Send me a PM. I'm in Bellefonte.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Over sized tires dont fail you , bumper height or tires sticking out too far might...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I had a warn swingout and all i did was zip-tie Geo Tracker 3rd brake light to it and run some speaker wire to the plug....

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• http://www.quadratec.com/products/12066_908.htm

its only $95. Ive seen this on several jeeps and other cars. It does your licence plate lights and 3rd brake Looks really nice too. I know altierior has it on the back of his jeep.

ONLY $95!!

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=78%]In that reguard Keith, I'll agree. But there are cheaper solutions. Old body style wrangler owners tend to be pretty resourceful when it comes to spending money on stuff that doesn't increase perfomance.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=12px]$95 just seems way overpriced...[/size][/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=12px]-Brad[/size][/font]

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Yea he is all set. I spent 2 days rehabing all the other things that were wrong with it and I got my small tires on so he is ready for the re-inspect.

Aaron

• http://www.quadratec.com/products/12066_908.htm

its only $95. Ive seen this on several jeeps and other cars. It does your licence plate lights and 3rd brake Looks really nice too. I know altierior has it on the back of his jeep.

Yes, I decided to splurge for this. It does look sharp on BlueJ.

I'd like to post a big THANK YOU to Aaron here. When we (Aaron and Don and I) did a quick look into the differentials before Thanksgiving, we saw that the back ring gear was held to the Detroit by only three bolts (out of 10), and two of those were almost out. On inspection, we decided the R&P needed to be replaced, and Aaron re-set the gears for me when I was travelling. All the bolts in the front were loose as well, and there were a few assorted other bolts and boots that we replaced. He also threw on a set of stock tires for inspection, and did the wiring for the 3rd/license plate light.

So BlueJ is now legal and roadworthy. We need a few more updates (new axleshafts) before it is trailworthy, but that'll have to wait until spring.

• That's great to hear Andrew! Hope to see you on the trails in the spring!

• That's great to hear Andrew! Hope to see you on the trails in the spring!

Chris! I heard you were around for that ride just after Thanksgiving... I'm sorry I missed it!

:beer:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!