"No Bus" Code on a JK

• About an hour ago, I started the JK and every light on the dash came on and a "no bus" code came up in the odometer. It's driving in a limp mode now with the windshield wipers and lights stuck on....no radio, turn signals, etc.

Google gave me a 100 different answers ranging from ECU connection to corrosion behind the dash panel to computer error that needs to be dealer reset. :-\

Has anyone heard of or seen this? I'm going to do a battery pull tomorrow to see if it resets but until then, any help would be appreciated. :help:

• anything from the OBD reader? No BUS on a XJ/TJ is usually either the dash connectors or the CPS, but with the CPS it won't even start.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• anything from the OBD reader? No BUS on a XJ/TJ is usually either the dash connectors or the CPS, but with the CPS it won't even start.

I can't pull a code from the dashboard because it isn't responding to anything and I don't have a reader here to pull one that way. The dash connector was the first thing I thought of but wouldn't I have no lights or anything.

The TSB I found was for a TJ and pertained to corrosion on the pins at the dash connectors. Maybe it's a similar problem.

• Do you have tilt wheel? In my TJ (I know it's different from yours) but the wire got pinched in the mechanics of the tilt wheel and would short it out sometimes. I'd just readjust the wheel a couple times up and down and it would reset. I eventually fixed it but it might be your problem.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Do you have tilt wheel? In my TJ (I know it's different from yours) but the wire got pinched in the mechanics of the tilt wheel and would short it out sometimes. I'd just readjust the wheel a couple times up and down and it would reset. I eventually fixed it but it might be your problem.

I checked the tilt wheel and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I'm leaning toward the harness and connection behind the dash. When I looked at it, the plastic stay had released and harness was floating near the brake pedal pivot point. There aren't any apparent cuts or pulled wires so I may just let the dealer handle it under warranty. (The battery pull failed miserably as I expected.)

• That vehicle's only 2 years old and you're having problems like that?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That vehicle's only 2 years old and you're having problems like that?

Welp. It looks like the short was in the seat.

After some deeper searching on the interweb, I saw a guy who had this problem when he did a CB install and messed with some wires behind the radio. It just so happens I swapped my stock radio a month or so ago and because of all the after market "loc-pic" harnesses I have back there, it's a tight fit so I must have pinched a wire. I fixed the wire and reset the harnesses a little cleaner and the fault went away. Sucks it took a month for it to show up. :doh:

Strange that I can drive the vehicle without the radio hooked up but a little pinch in the radio harness when installed sends the damn Jeep into a type of limp mode. :bang:

Lesson learned. If it can't be fixed with a hammer or pry bar, I should stay away from it.

• The seat/steering wheel interface causes most of my problems, too and I can fix most of my Jeep with a hammer and pry bar :). That reminds me, gotta buy a new sledge hammer handle after my axle install :D.

• ...and duct tape.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!