1990 yj body lift question?

• I,m installing 3" bodylift made buy performance accessories got thruogh qtec.

question is about steering shaft,says the steering shaft contains 2 spring clips (small one and big one)shaped like feaf springs?then says springclips maintain tension between both halves of steering shaft. to prevent the shaft from fully seperating ,be sure that the large spring clip remains in the original position and the shaft is not extended far enough to expose the larg spring clip?then says slid rubber grommet down away from the slip joint extend steering shaft until the small clip is exposed (if nessarysecure in vise) remove the small spring clip. then slide rubber grommet back in orig positionthen put back in?

i do not see any clips or rubber grommets on shaft?is there anyone that could steer me through???

Wayne

• Please rethink this. #1, DMV will fail you. 3" is too high. Most will agree 1.5" is about as high you should go. Plus it really looks goofy. Take a bandsaw to the pucks and cut them in half. (Watch your fingers) . you'll be glad you did. I've heard, (not confirmed ) that in an accident, the body can shear off the frame. .

Here is a good discussion.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f…t-pros-and-cons-2282.html

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Please rethink this. #1, DMV will fail you. 3" is too high.

Negative grasshopper.

§ 4318. Bumper, Frame Rail, and Body Heights.

(a) No passenger vehicle or station wagon that is required to be registered under Chapter 21 of this title shall be registered or operated upon any highway of the State if the bumper height of such vehicle exceeds 22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, or if the vehicle frame rail is higher than the attached bumper, or if the maximum distance between the vehicle body and vehicle frame rail exceeds 3 inches.

(b) Vehicles not included in subsection (a) of this section that are required to be registered under Chapter 21 of this title shall not be registered or operated upon any highway of the State if the bumper height of such vehicle exceeds 30 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, or if the vehicle frame rail is higher than the attached bumper, or if the maximum distance between the vehicle body and vehicle frame rail exceeds 3 inches.

That being said, I agree 3" is too much for a Wrangler.

• Master, several members on this board have failed for more than 3" between body and frame.

Remember, 3" body lift, plus the body bushings, will be 3" plus. Since performance accessories is only a puck kit and does not integrate bushings, your assumption is incorrect. I have caught the fly with the chopsticks.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Your linkage is going to be a bitch and no u can't heat it up to strech it so I cut mine and made it long and it works great

• Your linkage is going to be a b*tch and no u can't heat it up to strech it so I cut mine and made it long and it works great

Not a big fan of modifying steering parts by cutting and welding but I'm a bolt on MF'er! :innocent:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Just checked and Wayne is in PA., so DE laws don't apply.

Enjoy your fly.

Yes,. i live in Pa,and good friends with guy that inspects my jeeps,i figure on putting 35" tires in future. i have 33' tires on it know and when i flex a little rubs pretty good! My tj goes through no problems even with broken winshield last two years.

Wayne

• Not a big fan of modifying steering parts by cutting and welding but I'm a bolt on MF'er! :innocent:

Thats what i thought think i will try to do both weld and bolt,thanks guy's do not see clips instructions say they have?

Wayne, think if i get everything completed this weekend might wheel it the 19th on club ride.

• Wayne you should be ok with that body lift as far as the states concerned ( I dont think I would go that tall) . Just watch your bumper height when you change to the 35 inch tires. The max you can go is 30 inches I have had to explain this in 2 different townships and show one of them the Pa inspection code that states it. You have seen my Cj and I sit at 26.5 to the bottom of the front bumper / frame rail. Good luck and hope to see on the 19th.

Keith

• For what it's worth, I have a 2" body lift on my '87 YJ. The Delaware DMV didn't give me any problem. I did have a problem with the gas tank fill tube/hose. You may need a longer one.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• x2... I didn't have any problem w/ DE inspection. Supposedly my YJ has a 3" suspension lift as well as a 3" body lift. Dunno for sure but the NJ inspection sticker had all the different vehicle heights that they are required to check on the back of the sticker. DE DMV did check my bumper height when I went through inspection. No problems though. Guess one day I'll have to actually find out the in's & out's of my Jeep's setup. Kinda looks like there is some body lift but couldn't tell ya for sure how much.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I removed the filler hose and took it to my local auto parts store and told them I needed a longer one. They compared it to their collection and found one that did the job.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• x2... I didn't have any problem w/ DE inspection. Supposedly my YJ has a 3" suspension lift as well as a 3" body lift. Dunno for sure but the NJ inspection sticker had all the different vehicle heights that they are required to check on the back of the sticker. DE DMV did check my bumper height when I went through inspection. No problems though. Guess one day I'll have to actually find out the in's & out's of my Jeep's setup. Kinda looks like there is some body lift but couldn't tell ya for sure how much.

Doesn't look like any BL to me. The bottom of the grille would be exposed over the bumper.

• Pretty easy to tell.

If there are spacers between the frame and tub it has a B/L.

Good points. Since I bought it back in June I haven't even had the opportunity to dive into it and research all the in"s and out's about the Jeep. Still recoup'n from my surgery back in Oct so all I can do is the little odds and ends for now.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!