Anyone have "pull" at a Jeep dealer (service related)?

• Long story short the wife’s 2009 JK (20,000 miles) decided to not start the other day. We left church, filled up with gas, I got back in, turned the key....nothing. No noise, click, starter, anything. A few dummy lights were lit up on the dash, one of which was a red security light that I had never seen before. Her Jeep is a stripped model; no power anything, including keyless security, so this was puzzling. After a few minutes of panic and reading the owners manual to no avail I Google the problem on my phone and came across a TSB that is spot on with our problem. TSB here:

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
    GROUP: Electrical
    DATE: July 04, 2008
    SUBJECT:
    No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM
    MODEL:
    2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
    NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

I unhooked the battery, reconnected it as per internet forum instruction, and it started. That worked this time, but it is my understanding this problem may get worse, and even then the battery trick will not work. The thought of my wife and kids being stranded in a dark, cold, parking lot for hours on end waiting for a tow is unnerving to say the least, so I'd like to be proactive and get the module replaced under warranty. However, I've been told unless the dealer sees the problem, or pulls a code (impossible with the battery cable pulled to restart) they will not fix it. Can anyone help me out here?
    [size=3] [/size]

• However, I've been told unless the dealer sees the problem, or pulls a code (impossible with the battery cable pulled to restart) they will not fix it. Can anyone help me out here?
    [size=3] [/size]

Did the dealer tell you that or was it on the web? Give the dealer a call and tell them the research you did and maybe you'll get lucky.

Otherwise, if it happens again, pull the code before unplugging the battery so you can take a picture of the code with your phone. I'd hope that would work. :shrug:
    Either way, I'd give Kat a wrench and show her how to remove the negative terminal in case it happens again without you around.

• I would call the dealership and see what they will do, then call another one if you don't like the 1st answer. I had a similar experience with a service bulletin with my truck and the dealer fixed it no questions and said "we don't have to fix it with just the bulletin but like to be proactive and keep our customers happy. Once the bulletin goes to recall, we would fix it then. Why not take care of the problem right now". That was Townsend Brothers and not a Jeep dealer but I am sure there are some that would and some that wouldn't fix it.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Usually if you have a print out of the TSB, the dealership will not have a problem fixing the issue. Especially if it under warranty.

When I had the issue with my Grand where the seat heater element burned a hole in my seat, the dealership was going to charge me to fix it. I found a TSB and recall open on it, printed it out and took it to the dealership. They fixed it for free, no questions asked.

HTH

-Chris

• Been getting great service at Jeff D'Ambrosios in Downingtown/Exton, PA.

John the counter guy in the service dept is a jeep guy (owns a YJ) and also know cummins/merc diesel really well, witch is why I've been going there.

:up: :up: for the staff there.

:down: :down: for Chrysler for making junk ass shit that needs to be at the dealer all the time.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Could be worse... I saw a very pissed-off woman driving a $60k BMW limping down Rt 202 blowing smoke everywhere, saw her pull into the Ottos BMW dealership, would NOT want to be the service writer there. lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Dude that sucks. If she gets in trouble call me, my phones always on anyway. My drivers call me for dumber things in the middle of the night.

• YOU buy at Adams? Try Adams. A friend of mine had to much Milk shake and had issues with motor , and A "De Dealer" ware he bought the Jeep new did not cover issue. Of course not he was off roading. :driving:
    He went to Adams, and they put a new short block in under warranty :shrug:
    just a thought,
    MuTt

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!