Pine Barrens

• I don't know of any true maps of the trails there. I've used a topo map before with pretty good success, but that doesn't tell you what's legal or not for vehicles. If you goto Wharton State Forest, stop in at the office/ranger station. They usually have a basic map of the forest.

When were you thinking about going? The 4x4 sections are probably going to be tricky this weekend with all of the rain we've had lately.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Not going for a couple of weeks. I hear that the ranger station has a map, I just wanted too see if anyone here knew of any I could get before I went. Also are the areas off limits marked or is it the old use your common sense?

• I have maps in a book, that looks like it shows all the roads in the forrest, some could be trails. The book is "DeLorme New Jersey Atlas & Gazetteer. Its TOPO maps of the entire state. It has Lat/Lon lines on the side and top of each page if you have GPS. Whorton state forrest is on page 55&56. Very detailed I think. I also have the state of PA. Can't remember where I bought them, but maybe DICKS sporting or Camping stores etc,etc. You are welcome to come look at them. I live just off rt 13 just south of New Castle.

• Also Best Buy and other stores sell Garmin (and other brands) of GPS units with TOPO maps in them. Will tell you where you are within a couple of feet of a location even off road on any trail. :shrug: Just FYI.

• I don't know of any true maps of the trails there. I've used a topo map before with pretty good success, but that doesn't tell you what's legal or not for vehicles. If you goto Wharton State Forest, stop in at the office/ranger station. They usually have a basic map of the forest.

When were you thinking about going? The 4x4 sections are probably going to be tricky this weekend with all of the rain we've had lately.

X2 On that! :driving:
    We will have a group of 15 going Sat the 19th.
    And you can alway's leave bread crumbs down to find your way BACK. :shrug:
    Let's Wheel.

• oy vey

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I read through that thread and they're saying that the new superintendent of the forest is taking a heavy stance on the area with backing of group that may or may not have goals to close all 4x4 access. But at any rate, the 1/4 mile area is completely offlimits to vehicle traffic in addition to a couple trails in the area. They claim that the 1/4mi area was illegal all along, but never enforced (probably true) by the rangers. Read the thread and links from it to draw your own conclusions. It looks to me that they do have the intent on saving vehicle access to the forest and approve of the widened closure area so it can stop the local rednecks from completely destroying the area which gives fuel to the treehuggers. A point of contention is that it may just be a stepping stone to close more areas.

Cliffs notes version of the thread linked above... New signs posted to replace signs previous posted but missing for years. New larger signs posted on trails leading to the 1/4mi area which close them (new closure). Closure includes the 1/4mi area and known illegal spots at the "High Crossing" area (where a couple trails meet).

Jerry / Whatevah

• ...so it can stop the local rednecks from completely destroying the area which gives fuel to the treehuggers. A point of contention is that it may just be a stepping stone to close more areas.

IMHO (heh), there is an inherent problem with open public lands. in contrast to pay-to-play places like RC, the public lands attract, to some extent, (i am reluctant to say it this way, but i will) a lower class of people in general - or to be more PC (ugh), 'less considerate' offroad drivers. for the most part, i have found that people who are members (and guests) of 4x4 clubs (present parties included, of course) are more responsible in their overall attitude and conduct in their participation in our sport. and i believe that the ~ fifty bucks for a day of wheeling tends to - for the most part - repel many of the morons who think that they and their trailer-park buddies can slap a ghetto lift and big tires on their 4x4 and go out with the intent of tearing shit up.

the 80/20 rule applies. this low-life minority are the ones whose behavior get noticed.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• X2

The same thing has/is happening at GWNF.

When DEJA used to camp at Kephart the first thing we would do upon arrival was pick up trash. And we usually filled 3 or 4 large trash bags without a whole lot of effort. And of course when we left we would take our own trash as well as what we collected with us.

And it wasn't other 4x4 clubs leaving the trash it was the local boys.

Same with wheeling there. On almost trip we end up helping some local yahoo who has gotten himself into a bind. Either by being somewhere they should'nt have been or because their vehicle was a pos that was not even worthy to be on the road.

• when i was there recently i ran into a few of the rangers and police they were nice, said were we wernt alowed to be (1/4) and asked that we not tair it up to bad wich we wernt doing or going to do in the first place, and said have fun. it was a nice place to go and drive some soft trails and splash in the water wich there was plenty of deap water on the roads

• The whole issue is, and being from south jersey and wheeled for many years in the pines,, i can tell you their use to be a place called the patch and old cranburry bog owned by a local guy that wouldnt grow for some reason or other so he opened it up to the larger truck to go and tear up,,,,as the years went on it turned in to a big party spot where the cops had to show up and break up fights and what not,,,so the guy closed it down a little over 2 years ago,,so all the trash so to speak now found their way to 1/4 mile for the new party place,,and for anyone here that has gone to the pines as long as i have will know that 1/4 mile has always been just a few trails throw a marsh that always had water,,,in the past 3 years give or take its grown to a mud bog where people would just blaze new ways throw and around every thing.
    This is why 1/4 mile is closed in a nut shell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4VZm27ar4

• The singer of the video seems really mad. Is he singing about how he lost his place to wheel?

Soooo, does anyone want to make an attempt at going up there in May? Is it worth trying or should we bail on it?
    If we go, I'd like to ride with someone if you have a right seat available. Never been there in a Jeep before.

• The singer of the video seems really mad. Is he singing about how he lost his place to wheel?

:roflmao:
    somebody needs a valium...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Soooo, does anyone want to make an attempt at going up there in May? Is it worth trying or should we bail on it?
    If we go, I'd like to ride with someone if you have a right seat available. Never been there in a Jeep before.

The legal areas are nice to drive through but most Jeeps wouldn't need to ever shift into 4hi the entire day. A few months after I got my XJ my brother and I went geocaching up there, spent the whole day in the forest and only needed 4x4 once I think... this was on 28" street tires. Of course even most of the interesting areas I can do in 2wd as long as isn't icy. ::) I have a feeling that the other quasi-legal areas will be illegal by then.

So... I'd suggest doing something else.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!