What is my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 Worth?

• Hey Guys and Gals -

I am thinking about possibly selling my 86 Jeep CJ7, but not sure what its worth. My Dad and I built the Jeep years ago and I started to sand it with the idea to repaint but the funds never were availble to go through with my plan. Its an automatic, it has a completely rebulit AMC 304 V8 in it that starts right up every time and sounds mean. It does need just a little fiberglass work on the passenger rear quarter panel. Also, the automatic transmission is starting to slip, but I think it might just be the belts need tightening since I am under the impression that the tranny was rebuilt too when we got it. The engine cant have more than a couple of thousand miles on it. It has been sitting for a few years now, but I will go out and start it up from time to time. I have the mirrors, hood latches, etc. Everything is pretty much stainless. It kills me to think about getting rid of it, but the realization is sitting in that I probably wont be able to fix it up anytime soon. I have attached a few pictures and I would appreciate everyones opinion of what they think I should sell it for.

Thanks,
    Chris

• That should be a [size=small]Laredo Renegade , based on the factory chrome , dash and leather grab bar. What does the plate on the glove box say. [/size]

[size=small][/size]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• *The following is my opinion.

If it were in great condition (body, frame, motor, moving parts) you could probably get about $5-7,000 in this economic state. With the it needed body work (both fiberglass repair and paint), transmission work, and has a fiberglass tub (again this is my opinion, I'd rather have a favctory steal tub), I think would be VERY lucky to see $3,000 out it. With all that said I could offer you $1,000 cash today :wavey:

• I'd say $2000. Personally, I'd fix the fiberglass work (not hard to do), change the tranny filter and fluid to see if that fixes the issue, and then you may be able to get $3000.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd say $2000. Personally, I'd fix the fiberglass work (not hard to do), change the tranny filter and fluid to see if that fixes the issue, and then you may be able to get $3000.

Clean, painted and fixed, not over built, $3-4 k. Might even get $4-5k if its clean and pretty enough.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!