Rear locker time - Detroit vs Eaton

• sweeeeeeeeet duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddeeee :up:

And now the electronics geek in me wants to know where you'll put the switch?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• e-locker has been ordered

Too late to put in my vote but that's what it would've been anyway. Like Billy said the rear Detroit is REAL noticeable. I looked at all the options when I built my 60's after coming from ox/ox in my D30/D44 and settled on the e-locker in the front and detroit in the rear...can't say why exactly but mostly that I saved a few $$, knew I'd never have a problem with a 35spline 60 detroit, and when wheeling w/ my MJ (and for the period I had the 44 in my TJ) I had a tendency to just leave the rear ox engaged for most of the day. I wouldn't say that I made a mistake as I'm pretty damn happy with how my setup works but if I drove mine more than I do I'd definitely look at swapping in a selectable rear.

Side note... I've heard a longer wheel base will decrease the side affects of a Detroit. Perhaps my CJ-8 makes it more palatable. But what about tire size, Will 35s tolerate a Detroit better than 32s?

discuss..

I can confirm after driving my TJ w/ a rear detroit and a LWB pickup w/ a rear detroit that it's night and day...it's barely noticeable (some ratcheting and the occasional pop) in my buddy's truck but could easily put you in the next lane if you're careless and on-off the throttle hard in a TJ.

Just guessing but I'd think that the smaller tires would actually cause it to be more pronounced as there is more of a difference in revolutions between the inside and outside tire the smaller the circumference... :shrug:

To install, no. Cutting brakes are tougher. It's that stupid aircraft cable that is so tough with the Ox locker. It would be a very reliable system but I kept burning cables up on the manifold (installation error :doh: ) or hitting the cable end on rocks. It let me down a few times. The Detroit never did.

Not that it matters as neither of us are running them anymore but someday I'll show you how I had mine...never burnt a cable and only smacked the rear on a ledge once.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!