Rear locker time - Detroit vs Eaton

• Getting ready to rip the Jeep apart for a few projects now that the threat of snow has mostly passed (knock knock) including re-gearing and installing a real rear locker to replace the limited slip in the 8.8. I had pretty much settled on getting the Eaton e-locker but I started thinking about how much I appreciate the simplicity of the automatic Aussie I have up front and the Detroit started getting appealing. That and the fact that it's ~$300 cheaper makes the Detroit kinda tempting.

I have a feeling we're going to get people making cases for both sides but I wanted to get some opinions on street behavior of the Detroit. The Jeep isn't my dd but I still put a decent amount of miles on it. What's the craziest/scariest thing the Detroit has ever done to you? Ever come close to losing control/hitting something/etc? What's it like in the snow/rain? When do you notice it most? e.g cornering, accelerating, etc Ignoring the $$, what would you prefer to have if doing it over again?

• With a short wheel base and short arm suspension, the Detroit handles a little funny. Making an accelerated sharp turn rolls the body pretty hard with a short arm because the control arms push hard up against the frame. That was probably the scariest thing about the Detroit that I had. The over, under steer in turns just takes some getting used to. Same thing for the occasional explosion you hear when the locker unloads.

The e-locker seems to be pretty reliable from the few people I know that have them. For your application, I'd go with the e-locker.

• I agree with Billy, go with the E-locker. With the amount that you drive on the street, you will hate the detroit in months.

• I have a Detroit in my Scrambler. 98% fine on the street, icy roads you have to keep your whits about you. Certainly less likely to destroy itself. But they have their quirks, scrubbing, chirping tires at every turn, unloading still startles me. Over all , I really like the Detroit.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• It's not that bad if you have an automatic, but you'll know it's there in the turns. Understeer is noticeable and if you let off the gas before you've straightened out, you'll get a quick hit of oversteer but it's completely controllable. Again, if you have a manual, you'll want to avoid shifting during turns. It's actually more polite for me in weather because the inner tire will slip a little making the under/oversteer affects less noticeable. Didn't have any problems with icy roads because the front end pulls it straight, drive the conditions and you'll be fine. Of course, this winter I was passing 4x4s in my RWD ambulance so maybe that's just me. lol

Eaton seems to be the most reliable electric locker from my time at Quadratec and surfing the forums. A little stronger than the other options due to fewer parts and no clutch packs to wear out.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• The title is misleading BTW.
    Eaton makes the Detroit Locker.

It's kind of like saying. "Cereal time - Frosted Flakes vs. Kelloggs"

Keep the thoughts coming on the Detroit please...I was honestly expecting more people to say it's tolerable so this is interesting.

It's definitely tolerable. It doesn't bother me at all and the reliability is incomparable. Come test drive my Jeep if you want. I just think for your situation, a selectable is better.

• What he said... if you have the money, selectable is best for a rig that sees mostly street time. I didn't, so... I have an Detroit. lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• The title is misleading BTW.
    Eaton makes the Detroit Locker.

It's kind of like saying. "Cereal time - Frosted Flakes vs. Kelloggs"

I knew someone was going to point that out. :) I figured it made sense for the title and then I clarified the e-locker later. Dick. :)

So reading up on the Auburn it looks like it's not really a true locker when engaged, it's more of a really, really, really tight limited slip and the opinion seems to be they will need to be rebuilt periodically. I dunno, still in the maybe pile but that's not putting a smile on my face.

• Keep the thoughts coming on the Detroit please...I was honestly expecting more people to say it's tolerable so this is interesting.

it is tolerable. i have a rear detroit in my DD. 'tolerable' is the key word here. is 'tolerable' ok with you?

i've heard many people talk about the detroit's incorrigibility on slippery roads. i can say that i've never had any issues with it 'pushing' or kicking out, in fact i don't really notice it in slippery conditions. where i do notice it is on dry roads. this:

...they have their quirks, scrubbing, chirping tires at every turn, unloading still startles me.

on dry roads - where we spend like 95% of our driving time, right? - i always know it's back there, and it is tolerable, but sometimes annoying.

on the other hand, it kicks ass offroad. it's performance is solid and reliable. i like not having to think about when to activate it offroad. it just works. it does exactly what i want it to do. given the choice between spool, selectable, or Detroit for wheeling, i'd go detroit for the rear. i think i like it enough for offroad that i am willing to tolerate its annoyances on the road.

IMO, in a situation like you describe - not a dd, with the primary intent of the build for offroad, yet still spends time on the road - i'd say you can't beat the Detroit.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I knew someone was going to point that out. :) I figured it made sense for the title and then I clarified the e-locker later. Dick. :)

So reading up on the Auburn it looks like it's not really a true locker when engaged, it's more of a really, really, really tight limited slip and the opinion seems to be they will need to be rebuilt periodically. I dunno, still in the maybe pile but that's not putting a smile on my face.

When Captain was deciding, I did some goggling and found a lot of negative reviews on the ECTED.

If I was going to go electric I think I'd go with the Eaton.

Just curious, why you aren't considering ARB.

• caveat to my above post, i need to qualify this comment:

IMO, in a situation like you describe - not a dd, with the primary intent of the build for offroad, yet still spends time on the road - i'd say you can't beat the Detroit.

as you know, i'm in an XJ (rear leaf springs), so my observations and experiences may or may not be particularly pertinent in light of this:

With a short wheel base and short arm suspension, the Detroit handles a little funny.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• When Captain was deciding, I did some goggling and found a lot of negative reviews on the ECTED.

Agreed, I have found very few positive statements. Sucks...it looked like a viable alternative at first. The worst is they seem to be quick with the 'rejected' stamp on warranties.

One less thing to break and I've heard too many people complain about having to deal with the leaks and stuff like that. My gut is telling me that I will have a higher degree of confidence in the elocker actually engaging when I push the button.

• Dick. :)

:innocent:

No way.

Maybe the OX locker.

The cables are a pain to run to the front and the rear is even worse. They've come a long way since the first gen but I think he's on the right track with the two he's deciding between IMO.

edit: fixed quotes

• The cables are a pain to run to the front and the rear is even worse. They've come a long way since the first gen but I think he's on the right track with the two he's deciding between IMO.

They have an electric conversion now.

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!