3.73 or 4.10

• I have 33" tires on my 01 6 cyl. automatic wrangler. I don't plan on going to 35' s. What gears should I put in 3.73 or 4.10. Its my daily driver,and I do a decent amount of highway driving to the beach. Thanks

• I went with 4.10's in mine. I believe you probably already have 3.73's in there now.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I went with 4.10's in mine. I believe you probably already have 3.73's in there now.

On that note, I personally wouldn't spend the money to re-gear from 3.73 to 4.10 unless you are doing some other work to the axles such as lockers. For highway driving and some beach, they should be fine. I don't believe the difference would be that great since you have it running through a slushbox... :innocent:

If you can confirm that you don't have 3.73's then I would suggest the 4.10's for running 33's as Wolverine said.

• I had 307s in my stock 2000 with an automatic. I went 410s but had 35s by the time I managed to install them. Again its prob not worth it to go from 307-373 or 373-410. Id go with 410s.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• you probably have 307's and a 3 sp auto. If you aren't going above a 33" tire stick with the 307's for highway. I run 410's with 37's and they were good with 35's, but 33's might be running a bit higher rpm down rt 1. Again, assuming you have the 3sp auto.

• I have 4:10s in my CJ with 35s and like the gearing, If I had 33s, I would think it would be a little too low for the street.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I'd listen to jwalk as he's been daily driving his mall crawler for a long time. After rereading your post, I'd say if your mostly highway and you don't go bigger than 33s I'd leave it alone. 410s on the hyw. with 33s might be put you a bit on the high end of you Rpms...with the 307s your gonna sacrifice "some" low end/ midrange tourque in exchange for a much better highway Rpm/fuel milage. On the other hand, I know a ton of people who said "I'll never go over 33s" and eventually the bug hits them and they are sporting 35s.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• 4.10's will put you around 2900rmp at 70mph

3.73 will do 2700 rmp at 70mph

4.56 will do 32-3300rmp at 70mph

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

and like the others said, i wouldn't go 3.73 to 4.10 as you wont notice much... another thing to think about is if you have 3.07's and go to either 3.73 or 4.10 you will need a new carrier, so could be the ideal time for a selectable locker if budget allows

• 8.8 with 4.10s and try to get one open instead of the LSD.... then search the boards and craigslist and I bet you can find a TJ front with 4.10s for around the same as you can sell both your rears

• As I said in the PM there is no right answer to your question. It is going to be up to you and what you want out of your Jeep. 3.73s will give you lower RPMs on the highway with a little better fuel economy compared to the 4.10s. The 4.10s will give you a higher highway RPM resulting in less fuel mileage but you'll feel more torque and have a better crawl ratio in 4low.

Based on what you are saying I'd suggest the 3.73s but again only you can answer what you want out of the Jeep.

• 4.10's will put you around 2900rmp at 70mph
    3.73 will do 2700 rmp at 70mph
    4.56 will do 32-3300rmp at 70mph
    http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Not to be argumentative but I find 2,900 RPM - 3,000 RPM to be the sweet spot on my 4.0 for power and gas mileage. I would want that to be my target RPM for highway driving... So, 33's and 4.10's would be perfect if that gearing calculator is correct. For whatever reason, and I know every setup/engine is different, but folks tend to be real shy about running 3,000 RPM in these Jeep engines and I have never understood why. With your Auto, I would suspect the actual RPM to be a bit lower. FWIW, mine runs approximately 3,000 RPM @ 74 MPH, 37's, 5.13's...

As a side note, I do have aftermarket intake and exhaust so my engine may be happier at 3k due to the ease of flow versus a stock setup.

And unless you can pick up a stock Rubicon axle for the rear, and I loved mine (Helical LSD + Air Actuated Selectable), then a selectable (front and rear) is definitely the way to go for a short wheelbase highway driven vehicle.

• I'm putting a Ford 8.8 in the rear I just gotta figure out if want to look for one with 3.73 or4.10 ,so ill only have to regard the front to match

You left this part out... I thought you were regearing your current axles... 410's - 35's and be done with it. In all honesty your're not going to be wrong either way. The 3 speed auto is what it is. You'll get down the road just fine either way.

• Not to be argumentative but I find 2,900 RPM - 3,000 RPM to be the sweet spot on my 4.0 for power and gas mileage. I would want that to be my target RPM for highway driving... So, 33's and 4.10's would be perfect if that gearing calculator is correct. For whatever reason, and I know every setup/engine is different, but folks tend to be real shy about running 3,000 RPM in these Jeep engines and I have never understood why.

Not argumentative at all, on my TJ that was the Ideal RPMs, same with the comanche and even my YJ with 4.88 and 35's and 2800 rpms in 5th was ideal and thats a 4cyl.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!