3rd Brake Light

• Posting for a guest of the board until he gets internet at his new house.

He took thr tire carrier light off and when he went for DE inspection failed. He put it back on but it will not work. Siad he put new bulb in and changed around the wires, still nothing. Any ideas???

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• I'm not familiar with the type of wire connection the 3rd brake light has with the rest of the wiring harness. But if it is similar to the flat rubber clip commonly used for trailer wiring harnesses, then he may not have it all the way clipped in. Sometimes you have "work" it in to get it completely in.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• On my YJ the wiring ran from the brake light housing down to a set of metal contacts on the corner of the tailgate which in turn made contact with another set of contacts on the tub.

• Could it be a ground issue?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If it is on a TJ, I know that there are two plugs when you run the wires through the tailgate. I might try switching around the plugs to see if that works. Also make sure the contacts on both the tailgate and the tub are clean.

HTH

-Chris

PS...I have my third brake light/ tire carrier assembly still sitting in my basement that I know for a fact works if your buddy's doesn't still work.

• Thanks. Hopefully he is back on the web by today but I will let him know of the one in the basement. May want to borrow it to pass inspection!!

• On the body side of the Jeep, the wires are attached to the connection pads by a quick dosconnect that can come off if the wires have been messed with.

• Just spoke with him and still not working after cleaning and rechecking wires. Chris - If you are coming to the parade or meeting and don't mind letting him borrow it to get through inspection, I am sure he would appreciate it. He will be at the meeting and joining the club.

• Quote from "ying"

Just spoke with him and still not working after cleaning and rechecking wires. Chris - If you are coming to the parade or meeting and don't mind letting him borrow it to get through inspection, I am sure he would appreciate it. He will be at the meeting and joining the club.

I'll throw it in the back of the Jeep today actually so I don't forget. I don't mind at all. He can have it actually, as I'm trying to get rid of the stuff. Oh....and I'll be at the meeting but not the parade.
    Just glad it can be of use to someone.

-Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!