YJ shackle lift

• I'm going to lift the YJ a little. I got a shackle lift from Tony and I'm going to try to do it myself. I realize that I'll have to drop the Kilby skid a bit to get the rear bolts out. But... if I buy new bushings/bolts, couldn't I just sawzall the old rear bushings and bolts out? Is there any spring load on those bolts, or is it really as easy as taking out the old and putting in the new? What are the tricks to this, if any?

oh, and are the bushings with zerks worth the little extra?

DrJ

• Note on the rear bolts:

1. you will need to place the jeep on jack stands under the frame

2. remove the nut and washer from the upper and lower shackle bolts.

3. use a jack to lift the axle to remove any pressure on the shackle bolts.

4. remove the outer (or outside) shackle

5. push the bolts through the bushing as far as it will go.

6. the bushings in the rear are two piece remove the outer (or outside) bushing half.

7. this should allow you room to angle the bolt to the rear of the gas tank skid.

Hope this helps

The greaseable bolts are good if you are switching to poly bushings.

• DrJ - Let me know when you are thinking of doing this, I am intersted in lending a hand...I think that I want to do the same on mine.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• I have lifted 3 jeeps so far and I ended up cutting the rear shackle bolts cause I was too lazy to drop the tank...

make sure you have plenty of sawsall blades cause those bolts are tough..... I think on the last jeep I ended up using a grinder with a cut off wheel, worked way better.....

2 YJ's and 1 CJ.......

• Second the sawzall routine. The bolts up next to the tank are just too much of a pain to work loose, especially if they have been there since '88. The blue wrench is always fun too, if you are feeling especially crazy. Had to use that on my buddy's '92 Sahara, didn't have a sawzall handy and the bolts were really pissing me off!

As for greasable, beats the hell out of taking them apart to grease! Poly bushings aren't like stock rubber ones, they like a little grease to work.

Shouldn't take too long, 3 hours maybe?

• I think when I did on my CJ the bolts were so rusty that they snapped off and I banged them out, but I would not count on it.

• By grinder do you mean a cutter? (hope, hope, hope)

If so, could you buy a dozen or so cutting wheels and bring the receipt when you come over and I'll pay you for them. If they're all a standard size, just tell me how to buy them and I'll get them. I guess I'll order bushings/bolts. It'll be at least a week or so though.

DrJ

• I took the shackle task on a while back on my YJ. Replaced mine with Daystar 1-1/4" lift shackles. From what I remember getting the stock ones off wasn't so bad, in fact I don't think I cut mine. I remember banging them out with a a hammer and punch, it is a tight fit between the stock skid and tank but you can get them out. If you have an aftermarket skid blocking them I guess you will have to cut. You will probably only need one cut off wheel and a grinder for the two bolts, definitely borrow a grindet he sawzal is gonna be a pain.

Depending on the shackle construction I think the reassembly was way harder than the dismantling, my shakle halves were welded together and a real tigh fit. Bring some lube, a large c-clamp and a couple blocks of wood to press the new bushings into the spring eyes, the stock ones are vulcanized and real tough to get out as well as leave a really rough surface int he spring eyes.

Good Luck!

• I used the jack in a bit of a different way when i did my lift. I took the stock CJ jack and placed it between the leaf and the frame then cranked it up a bit to remove the bolts. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, just another way to skin the kitty. :peace:

• Okay, next part. What WIDTH tire do I put on OEM steel wheels to keep them under the OEM flares? I'm looking at BFG muds or Mickey Thompson Baja Claws in 31"

DrJ

• When are we doing the shackle lift?? We can work all the issues out with your jeep so when we do mine, it will be smooth sailing :rollsmile:

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Unless Icky gets new tires AND I can afford her old muds, it might have to wait awhile. I don't want to lift it with tiny tires, and the new M/Ts are going to be $600.

DrJ

• steve,

stay away from the baja claws, unless you like a realy realy rough and noisey ride. i had em on my yj for about 3 days... like to rattle your teeth out when coming to a stop... i kept thinking something was rubbing up front.
    i sold em to a buddy and he loves em.. but he was used to driving a bronco with 44's on it..

they were not for me.. I LOVE MY MT/R's..

• Let me know when you are thinking of working on this. I may be willing to lend a hand.

99 TJ with 2&quot; Skyjacker spacers/shocks<br />33x12.50 MTR&#039;S

• My hesitation is that the YJ lifted an inch or so by the installation of the shackle lift will look odd with 29" tires for the few months (or more) it may take me to save the $$$ for tires. I remember the KJ looked really odd, but it was only for a week or so.

DrJ

• I'm not worried about you finding tires, I'm worried about trying to slip you old ones past Robin! ..and how much my BFG a/Ts might be worth.

Anyone? Maybe for sale: 5 - 235/75R15 BFG A/Ts, 4 w/90% tread, 1 as new.

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!