Found the rattle...now what's the solution?

• For a long time, my TJ has had a rattle when I accelerate from a stop and when I'm just sitting at idle in drive with my foot on the brake. It doesn't rattle at all in neutral. I think I've finally found the problem...the catalytic converter is barely touching the skid plate. I'm not sure what the clearance should be, but I'm sure it should not be touching. Should I take it to a muffler shop and try to have the exhaust pipe bent upward a little? Or should I wedge something between the CC and skid plate to serve as a buffer? If so, what?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• You could find a small rubber block as a buffer between the pieces. You can also buy an exhaust hanger from autozone, pepboys, etc. and lift the exhaust up some. You'd just need a good mounting place and ensure it doesn't rust out after you mount the new hanger. Think I saw one of the adjustable exhaust straps for like $10.

FWIW.. My muffler sits on top of my skid plate... For the moment

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• You could find a small rubber block as a buffer between the pieces. You can also buy an exhaust hanger from autozone, pepboys, etc. and lift the exhaust up some. You'd just need a good mounting place and ensure it doesn't rust out after you mount the new hanger. Think I saw one of the adjustable exhaust straps for like $10.

FWIW.. My muffler sits on top of my skid plate... For the moment

Do u know how hot cats get? Do not put any rubber near it. As for the hangers to, they are all shitty. Take it to a muffler shop. They will fix it for next to nothing.

• The outer shield on the cat is just thin metal. Tap it with a hammer, tweak it with pry bar, wish it well..... The end.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• At least verify that's the rattle. Wedge a piece of wood, maybe a 1"x4" or something, between the two spots when the Jeep's cold and take it for a run to reproduce the sound. You might still have the rattle and just be chasing a ghost. If it does get rid of the rattle, then I'd go with both Stafford and Ed's advice and just "massage" the area as needed.

On a side note..if you still have the rattle when the exhaust is pried away - look to the transfer case linkage. It's notorious for rattling on Jeeps once they get a few miles on them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!