Pentastar 3.6L - Ticking Time Bomb ?

• Hmm not good, mine isn't much older than yours...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• What's your build date? Mine has a tick when cold, but seems to go away within a minute. 8000 miles on mine

Posted from the "office"

• The fuel injection the OBDI system I'm running ('93 Cherokee) has always ticked. I thought it was a fuel injection design issue. I've had others tell me that it's normal.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The fuel injection the OBDI system I'm running ('93 Cherokee) has always ticked. I thought it was a fuel injection design issue. I've had others tell me that it's normal.

I thought is was no big deal since it has ticked since day 1. Over 21,000 miles it has ticked with no issues till yesterday. Its a common problem attributed to the faulty head cutting on the drivers side. We will see how my wife's 2013 goes.

• Ahh yours is early production... I think mine is September 2011. I could hear a loud ticking on the beach (doors off, low speed, medium rpms) but no other issues besides lousy gas mileage. :/

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I hear mine tick when I first start it up. It goes away after a minute or so and then going down the road during acceleration I can hear it tick for five seconds or so. Ive been following this for awhile on Jkowners. Hopefully mine isn't next. Just over 13,000 on the ticker. Build date 03/12.

Current Jeep - 2012 JKU Sport - Gibson dual exhaust<br />Gone but full of memories - 99 TJ 2&quot; Skyjacker spacer lift, 32&quot;x11.5&quot; BF Goodrich AT&#039;s, hood mounted hi-lift jack, tow hitch, Reynolds Surf fishing rack

• Update- Carman Jeep got my part in next day! :up: I am without my JK for 2 days or so and driving a 2013 Dodge Caravan :down: . So far I am happy with how fast they got the part in. They said the heads are on back order but it showed up today. I will update when I pick it up.

• Carman got my Jeep done a day early! I have a new head part number ending in AC. The motor still sounds the same on both sides now (loud and rattly) I will compare when my wife comes home. but My gas mileage has returned to a normal mpg, No check engine light. I will be wondering how the long term will be but I am very pleased with how fast and easy the service went. All in all my JK was down for a day and a half and so far is back to normal.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!