Battery Tie Down Question

• My battery went dead the other day and when I went to jump, I noticed the "tie down" was a nice black rubber bungy cord about 1/2" wide. I am guessing this will not suffice for the tie down requirement for trail rides :shrug: Don't want to get to a ride and be turned away for something stupid that I should have taken care of.

Also, what can I use to get ride of battery acid that is sitting under my battery. It is hard and white...think at some point an old battery leaked. I am sure I can scrap it off but not sure if there is somenthing that may disolve it.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• You ever have one of those odd little pieces of information stick in your head? :shrug:

Why do I remember that baking soda and water neutralizes acid? I'm not sure it is even true, missed too many Chemistry classes.:read:

DrJ

• steve's right - baking soda and water will take care of nuetralizing it. i'd use an old brush and rag to get it all cleaned off once you've powdered it well. advanced auto has tie-down's for your battery. last aisle - adjacent to the engine oils :)
    chris

• Me being a scientist by education...you are correct...didn't know if I wanted to pour that on there but there is nothing under the battery housing that would cause a problem...

Thought there may be a "real product" for this application...

Mr. Wizzard

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• GREAT!

Also, a little garlic hung on an outside door keeps vampires away. I've been doing that for years, works perfectly!

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

GREAT!

Also, a little garlic hung on an outside door keeps vampires away. I've been doing that for years, works perfectly!

DrJ

How do you explain being on your third marraige then? :laughing:

Pouring Coca-cola on the acid is also supposed to nuetralize the acid. Baking soda is probably better though. I had an acid spill at Hercules once (1 gallon of sulfuric and nitric acid) and I the baking soda nuetralized it into a bubbly mess so we could sweep it all up. That was an exciting spill. Fortunately it was contained it in the hood.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

How do you explain being on your third marraige then? :laughing:

OWWWWW!!!!! Good one!

Unfortunately, the sucking noises were coming from my wallet, so they didn't qualify as vampires.

I saw a bumper sticker recently that read, "Don't get married, just find someone you hate and give them your house."

DrJ (always looking for the next ex)

(not really)

• Quote from "Slimer"

Pouring Coca-cola on the acid is also supposed to nuetralize the acid.

That wouldn't seem right to me. Since Coke or Pepsi will eat through a metal nail or take the paint off your car, I'd think they're pretty acidic in their own right.

I'd stick with the baking soda, that does definitely work.

• no a can of soda will work i am not sure why but the acid in it mixes with the corosion on the batter and the chemical reaction causes enough energy if you are luck to get a car going saw a guy do it in auto shop once cool trick but only works if the battery is jsut barely dead.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Quote from "ying"

Thought there may be a "real product" for this application...

I have saw some stuff before in a spray that eats the corrosion away. Pretty cool stuff but I cant remember the name?? :shrug:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!