Ed's, Brian's, Mike's, John's, Luke's, Paul's & Don's boat thread

• Let me know when your taking it out. We'll hook up and I'll show you around if you want!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• home from vacation..thinking of heading out next sat (22nd) any recommendations on where to go with a 18.5 foot open bow? want to go cruise around and burn some some gas so i can fill it fresh for winter. picked up a handheld VHF radio (left the main unit at raystown) and a upper bay chart. charlestown seems to be the best launch ramp for a one day use

• If you don't know your way around the flats I'd recommend staying away from there. I won't be around next weekend but if you stay in the Northeast River you can run up to the bay, the Elk River or Sassafrass pretty easily.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• the charts surprised me with depths..now i know why it's called the flats. going to do some more research and plot out a course. not looking for places to hang out right now..just somewhere to drop in and run for a couple hours.. dont want to venture too far till i get my chart reading/GPS/nav skills up to par...im spoiled with Raystown.. i know that lake very well...i dont know anything about the upper chesapeake

• not sure if ill make it out this weekend...nephews bday party, meeting (hopefully make it) might still try for sunday. anyone put in at C&D? only been through town once or twice...guessing summit bridge down the back way would be the better route? still charting a course to see what i can do safely.

• I've run the C&D but never put in down there. I think there's a ramp down by Shaffer's but can't say for 100% certain.
    You could put in at Elk Neck and run the channel down to the C&D that way, just follow the canal markers.
    Where you looking to end up?

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• mainly looking for a place to open up a little and run some gas out. ill try some sight seeing next season.

• I actually need to do the same thing :-\ I'm not sure I can make this weekend or next but I need to get it done. Nonetheless when I do my plan will be to put in at the ramp by the Chesapeake Inn and run up and down the C&D. It's easy to open her up there.

• I used to put in across from Chesapeake inn and run the C&D down to turkey point in the same boat. Only problem I had a aluminum prop and used to tear it up loading it up form there. Another option would be to put in at the Delaware City ramp and run the canal down to Turkey point (Elk Neck) and back. That would burn some fuel.

If you ever wanted to travel to the beach you could put in at our place and run up the rehoboth bay through the Lewes canal to Lewes and back. Plenty of options out there.

Also, get in touch with Dan and Monica, they have the same style boat and take it out down at the bohemia and such quite often. I'll let him know you are looking to take your boat out.

• They dont even know we have it yet...will be good to go out next summer. how is the canal with a barge and the wake? that is one of my concerns... Ive been on rehoboth bay on a jet ski..good place. may take you up on that offer sometime. have a friend who's grandmother has a house on the inland side of the bay with a dock, but no ramp.

thanks everyone. looking forward to getting on the water more..once a year at raystown wasnt enough.

• If you launch from Del city, the wakes from other boats will beat you up a bit. You will prob just have to slow down and ride them out but it's not terrible. If you leave from Chesapeake city you will hit less big wakes but once you get to where the channel the elk and the bogemia meet, it will get kinda choppy but it's doable. From Chesapeake city your are only a 10min ride from the Bohemia. Only issue is the Ches city ramp sucks. You gotta lunch, figure out how to jump in your boat then drive it over to the dock. Walk back to your truck then park. Kinda a pia unless you have two competent boat operators.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• If you launch from Del city, the wakes from other boats will beat you up a bit. You will prob just have to slow down and ride them out but it's not terrible. If you leave from Chesapeake city you will hit less big wakes but once you get to where the channel the elk and the bogemia meet, it will get kinda choppy but it's doable. From Chesapeake city your are only a 10min ride from the Bohemia. Only issue is the Ches city ramp sucks. You gotta lunch, figure out how to jump in your boat then drive it over to the dock. Walk back to your truck then park. Kinda a pia unless you have two competent boat operators.

most likely going with someone that can help...launching solo sucks..and from what i hear that ramp sucks anyway, but it's local.....can you trailer through Ches. city or is it best to come from summit?(301/896)

• Either way is fine... From Newark the fastest way is prob down 896 to summit bridge. That road petty much puts you at the ramp. I wouldn't mind running out one more time this year before I winterize my boat if you need a side kick. Or I'm game for tAking a ride if you just need a passenger.

• if the weather permits, going to drop in sunday around lunch for a cruise.... might check out chesapeake city ramp tomorrow to get a feel for it, my father-in law is going to come with me. if you want to head out shoot me a PM and ill keep you in the loop as i confirm times (thinking around lunch time)

• I let the pros winterize mine, in case anything happens, they're responsible. Not sure what they do. I would assume if it's properly mixed for the right temps, I'd leave it in.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• leave it in, it helps minimize internal water jacket corrosion. while at factory training for mercruiser and volvo penta they highly recommended leaving the antifreeze in. We had always drained it up to that point. Make sure you warm up the engine first so that the thermostat starts opening and closing and if you have an eight cylinder try to run as close to 4- 41/2 gallons through as you can.

• Oh yaeh, if you guys have throttle body or multi port injection, you should not spray fogging oill into plenum or through throttle body, it will eat away at the coating on the palte which will create a poor seal when closed and cause poor idle and eventually running performance. mix your fogging oil and stabil in an outboard tank and run the engine off of this tank.

• winterizing...leave antifreeze in, or drain it out (talking I/O engines)

I usually run mine for a few then pull the fuel line from the tank and spray fogging fluid into the carb until the engine quits or I run out if fogging spray. Then I change the oil and filter and the fuel filter so it's fresh for next year.
    Then i completely drain the block and manifolds and pull all the hoses to dump the residual water from especially the oil cooler and the sea pump. I usually blow compressed air through them also. Then plug everything back up and pull the upper hoses one by one and physically dump antifreeze in them until they are filled. Then I dump antifreeze right into the thermostat housing until it fills and starts to flow out of the thru hull exhaust. This way is more tedious but it lets me know that every orffice is full of antifreeze My setup is a bit different than an alpha setup though with the oil cooler and external sea pump.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!