TJ seat help

• I'm wondering if anyone has some expertise with stock TJ seats. The passenger-side seat on my 1998 TJ no longer tilts forward when the side tab is yanked. I know there's a cable that runs from the pull tab to a mechanism under the seat, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I've had my seat out and on my workbench, but I have not attempted to dismantle it -- if that's even possible. Can anyone assist me in getting this seat operational again? My backseat passengers sure would appreciate it!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• It's pretty common for the cable to kink/fray/break that connects the upper fold/tumble lever to the mechanism underneath. The good part is that usually the lower lever at the base of the seat normally still works. Is that the case with yours? To fix the seat you'll have to pull the seat and remove the seat covers to expose the linkage and take a look at it. I'd lube up the slides well at that point too as they make the fold/tumble action much smoother.

• It's pretty common for the cable to kink/fray/break that connects the upper fold/tumble lever to the mechanism underneath. The good part is that usually the lower lever at the base of the seat normally still works. Is that the case with yours? To fix the seat you'll have to pull the seat and remove the seat covers to expose the linkage and take a look at it. I'd lube up the slides well at that point too as they make the fold/tumble action much smoother.

Chris, yes the mechanism under the seat still works. I'd say that he cable has snapped. I probably just missed it, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the covers -- even with the seat sitting on my workbench.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• The seat covers utilize plastic channels that are pulled tight and inserted into grooves - similarly to how the soft top side windows are captured into the grooves on the tub or how the soft top roof is captured into the grooves on the door surrounds. I just had it all apart on mine to install seat heaters a few months ago. It's tedious work but easily managed if you have a good amount of patience.

Maybe your printed FSM covers it?

• 10 steps to an easy fix:

1. Stand at rear corner of Jeep on the passenger side facing the tire
    2. Extend both arms upwards and grip the top of roll bar with both hands (1 hand grips over and 1 hand grips under for firmer more confident grasp)
    3. Place right foot firmly on top of the rear passenger tire (use rubber tread as this will provide the best overall non-slip surface)
    4. In one fluid motion pull upwards with both arms while stepping up with the right foot
    5. When you have reached a standing position on top of the tire, quickly swing your left leg into the cab area of the Jeep and place your left foot on the rear seat
    6. Quickly follow with your right foot but be sure not to release your grip on the roll bar just yet
    7. Now pull your upper torso into the cab area of the Jeep.
    8. Once your center of gravity is over the rear seat you may release your grip on the upper part of the roll bar
    9. Now that your entire body is located in cab area of the Jeep you can sit down in the rear seat (careful not to bump your knees on the center console)
    10. Secure yourself to the rear seat utilizing the provided seatbelt and inform the driver that you are ready* by using a phrase such as: "Let's Roll!" "Giddyup!" or "Let's kick this pig!" (my personal favorite!! :8) )

Of course there are other variations to this method but the above instructional should work for most passengers of all Jeep CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs and JKUs provided that the hard/soft top has been removed form the vehicle.

*Note that step 10 should always be last as an early execution of this step may cause premature acceleration of the vehicle which could result in serious injury or death.

Yes, I have a lot of down time at work today. :shrug:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• On a more serious note... not sure if the cable needs to be sheathed or not (probably a good idea to prevent the kinking/rusting) but most auto parts stores have a choke/throttle type cable that you could use as a replacement. Also I'm sure you could find a clamp (sorry don't know the technical name) that joins two loose cable ends together at most hardware stores tho it's probably easier to just replace the whole deal.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!