hunting thread?

• anybody hit the woods this morning? first day of anterless archery here in pa. we were in our stands by 5:30 it was a really nice morning for this early in the season. Jumped four on the walk in, saw nothing after that.

• I usually would but had other things to do. Going Hog hunting Wed - Sun next week so I have lots to get done before leaving. :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Where are you going for your hog hunt? I've heard in some places it's become big business to exterminate them and you don't need a hunting license just the property owners permission.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• Fairfax South Carolina. We're doing a 3.5 day hunt and one night hunt with a spear! Should be fun!! Finally get to hunt with the AR !!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Archery started Sept. 1st here in Delaware. I've been to the range a few times and stretched the string. Still accurate out to 40 yds. Will probably head out this weekend coming if not too busy. Would be nice to put some venison in the freezer!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Archery just opened here saturday, i was able to get out in the AM saw 5 but no good shots. Just picked up the new Rage chisel points, can't wait to see how they work out. During the last two years knocked down 9 deer with the standard rage 2 and 3 blade but lost a monster 9 point due to poor shot timing that resulted in a shoulder shot. Tracked him til 11 at night before giving up, went back next day with two extra sets of eyes. Found a bloody bed next to an atv trail and drag marks to the trail. Somebody picked up my deer. Made me think about going back to a fixed head chisel point, but Rage solved my problem with this new head design.

• Archery just opened here saturday, i was able to get out in the AM saw 5 but no good shots. Just picked up the new Rage chisel points, can't wait to see how they work out. During the last two years knocked down 9 deer with the standard rage 2 and 3 blade but lost a monster 9 point due to poor shot timing that resulted in a shoulder shot. Tracked him til 11 at night before giving up, went back next day with two extra sets of eyes. Found a bloody bed next to an atv trail and drag marks to the trail. Somebody picked up my deer. Made me think about going back to a fixed head chisel point, but Rage solved my problem with this new head design.

My pop switched to Rage broadheads last year but hasn't taken anything with them yet. They look nasty just like the gaping entry/exit holes I've seen in the pictures. I haven't switched from the Montecs yet and I'll tell ya why... I like the idea of expandables if I have a perfect shot that won't hit bone (ok maybe a rib or two but nothing else). I just don't have confidence that they will do the job if I get part of a shoulder or have to take a spinal shot from directly above. Like you said they may have fixed the issue with the chisel points but I'm not yet convinced.

Right now I'm shooting Montec 100's in front of Easton's Full Metal Jackets. It's like shooting a piece of rebar with a scalpel attached to the front! With the Block targets I'm getting arrow penetration up to about an inch from the front of my fletchings when shooting broadheads. Even w/ field points I'm burying arrows about 4" deeper into targets than my brother and cousin. Two years ago, I shot a doe that was quatering towards me. She took a step just as I released and I hit bone. I completely shattered the top leg bone coming down from it's shoulder, severed 3 ribs and the arrow still completely passed through. No damage to the arrow and a few strokes with the honing stone to sharpen the blades up was all it took.

If someone can show me that kind of damage with an expandable I'd be more apt to try or switch to them. Unfortunately broadheads are too expensive to buy just to "try out." I learned that lesson when I bought some Muzzy's. They have to be the worst broadheads I've ever shot. Absolutely no consistency/accuracy and I broke 2 shooting 3D targets. $50 down the drain and when I called Muzzy they wouldn't refund my $$ and wouldn't even replace the 2 broken heads. My Montecs shoot about an 1" lower than field points at 30 yds and that's easy enough to adjust my sight pins for or use a little Kentucky windage if I forget to adjust my pins for broadheads. Good luck this season! Post up some pics if you score on something.

• had two doe within 8 yards last night had the crosshairs on them at least a half dozen times, they were fighting, literally standing on their hind legs hitting each other with their front legs like kangaroos. they just weren't still enough to get a clean shot.
    as far as your rage concerns, i switched over two seasons ago and will never use another brand again. out of ten shots lost the buck of probably my lifetime,, and i hit him dead square in the shoulder, he was 200lbs. plus, he went a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from point of impact to where we saw the drag marks out to the street. we had solid blood trail, i couldn't believe he went as far as he did without bleeding out. but the does that i shot didn't run anymore than 20 yards tops, two dropped right where they stood. massive entry wounds and even bigger exit wounds a couple had half their entrails hanging out od the exit holes as they were in one case about 8 inches long due to the way the bolt deflected. As fas a blood trail, no need to look too hard, if you get a pass through oyu get a 2 1/2 foot wide trail. just finished hanging another stand in this wind, glad to have worn my safety harness as i almost got blown out on a good gust, guess i'll stay out of the stand tonight.... :bang:

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• Yikes!! Glad you were harnassed! I like to ground hunt during rain/wind. I don't like heights too much anyways and swaying up in a tree has unnerved me more than once.

I would definitely like to see a real life impact from a rage broad head! They look wicked!

• thiis is an entry wound from a three bladed rage,I hit her just in front of shoulder, exit wound was too graphic to post so i deleted off camera, the exit wound was approx. 7 inches long. There was about a foot and a half of intestine hanging out.

• Wow! You sure you didn't hit it with a muzzleloader first?!? :laughing: J/k

How true do the Rage heads fly compared to field points? Do you have to adjust any for drop or spin when you switch to the Rage's?

• i shoot a crossbow due to an elbow injury that led to surgery which put an end to my archery hunting with a bow. so on that note i use a 20" bolt with the 100 grain rage heads. i'm dialed in to 50 yards(not that i will take a 50 yrd shot). i can shoot a field point and then a rage head and there is no change or loss of trajectory, it really does shoot just as it were a field point. with this bolt/rage head point i'm shooting right at 348-350 FPS.

• Bro these Rage heads are sounding better by the minute. My bow is only shooting around 290 fps so that accounts for some of the drop. Starting to get excited about hunting! My cuz dragged this guy outta the woods at Ted Harvey last night! It was missing the right side but meat is meat!

• Bro these Rage heads are sounding better by the minute. My bow is only shooting around 290 fps so that accounts for some of the drop. Starting to get excited about hunting! My cuz dragged this guy outta the woods at Ted Harvey last night! It was missing the right side but meat is meat!

I saw this picture on FB this morning. Small state.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• I saw this picture on FB this morning. Small state.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

True, true! He called me around 7ish last night after he'd shot him. He wanted me to come down and help track/drag it out. I so wish I had not missed that call (softball practice) b/c I love being in the woods and hunting/tracking. My brother went down and helped him find it and drag it out. I might just have to go out tonight! :mrgreen:

My cousin works for the DE Air National Guard in the fab shop. Know him? He drives the Rescue Green JKU, 3" BDS lift, mil style star on hood, serial # on side of the hood and with the Warn 9000 winch on the front.

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!