ZJ Questions

• [size=1em]So I am trying to get the ZJ ready to hit the trails (just more reliable than the CJ at this point) and could use some advice. Some of these may be fairly stupid questions...if so I apologize in advance.[/size]

[size=1em]I have a 2 inch BB and 31s on it, and that is pretty much it as far as modification goes. [/size]

[size=1em]1. Is it possible to go to RC with this? (Never been there, so I don't really know what to expect)[/size]

[size=1em]2. I checked out the requirements for a trail run - [/size][size=small]Regarding front and rear tow points...I don't have the factory tow hooks on the front. Are there other usable recovery points or would I have to add the hooks? If I have to add hooks does anyone know a cheap/easy way to go about doing this or does anyone have some lying around they'd like to unload? Plan on getting a different front bumper soon so don't want to spend a ton of time or money on this just to have it be a moot point later.[/size]

[size=1em]3. Regarding full-sized spare...and this may be a stupid question. If I have 31s, will one of my stock tires work as a full-sized spare? Wasn't sure if this meant it had to be the exact same or if it just meant not the donut.[/size]

• #1 Yes , RC has trails for all
    #2 You should get at least 1 hook.
    #3 Best to get a 31" spare. Especially if you have a trak loc in the rear. Bet you could find one real fast on the board.. Just post WTB 31" Spare.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• your jeep will be able to handle RC just fine. green and eaiser blue trails will be what you want to stay on.

deadfeat gave you the right advice, however, here are some other (cheaper/eaiser) options

if you dont want to buy a hook, you could just use your front axle as a tow point. use a strap and slip knot it around your axle.

if you dont want to buy a spare and do have trak lock in the rear, you could be ok with your factory spare...if you blow a rear tire, put a front tire on the rear and the spare on the front. not the best, but it would get you back.

• If questioned, would anyone really recognize an axle as a towing point? I'd say no - a towing point is a location designed for towing/retrieval. Will it work? Sure. But if that were the case why would they even say that you are required to have the two towing points?
    Chris (just my two cents)

• I recommend to find a factory bracket for the front tow hook if you can, and use it. You can buy them second hand or at a junkyard sometimes for cheap. They are designed to distribute a load on the front of the ZJ, But in a bind you can attach one right to the uni-body. I have used this technique on one of our ZJ's in the past. It was strong and we didn't have any issues pulling on it. But I do not recommend it as a permanent solution.

Here is a write up:
    http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/…id=13709&st=0&#entry13709

• I recommend to find a factory bracket for the front tow hook if you can, and use it. You can buy them second hand or at a junkyard sometimes for cheap. They are designed to distribute a load on the front of the ZJ, But in a bind you can attach one right to the uni-body. I have used this technique on one of our ZJ's in the past. It was strong and we didn't have any issues pulling on it. But I do not recommend it as a permanent solution.

Here is a write up:
    http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/…id=13709&st=0&#entry13709

This may be a viable option. Just don't want to dish out the $100 or so for the set new when I want to get a new winch bumper shortly anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• If questioned, would anyone really recognize an axle as a towing point? I'd say no...

I'd also say no.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• So here's my next question...

In looking for a front bumper, or winch mount option, would it make more sense to go with something like this:
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-zj-winch-plate_1049.html that just adds on to the stock front bumper (not terribly pleased with the look of this, but the price is right).

Or go with a new bumper like this style (I like the idea and look of this much better, but am still a little wary on the price:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-G…sh=item19d635ee88&vxp=mtr

All keeping in mind that I'm on a fairly tight budget with all of my spare money wrapped up in a few recent and pending firearms purchases. I think either one would give me the option of adding a winch and some tow points for the front.

Thoughts?

• For a front recovery point... forget the axle and PLEASE forget bolting a hook to the bumper or any part of the unibody. It's simply not strong enough to support the stress. Anything more than a simple level ground, no obstacle pull (aka, just towing) and the mounting bolts will pull through the thin sheet metal.

These are upgraded versions of the factory hooks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-G…sh=item564ce93e95&vxp=mtr yeah, you could make a backing plate to spread the load, but this is a lot easier and you can sell them after you upgrade to a full bumper.

For a spare, sure you could use a factory tire to limp back to the parking lot, but you'll need a full size tire to drive home.

To see if you have a limited slip diff... lift the rear axle off the ground (both tires), put the transmission or t-case in neutral and spin one tire. If the other tire goes the same direction, you should have a limited slip. If it turns the opposite direction, it's the standard open diff (and most common).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• For bumpers... they aren't cheap, Nates is probably the cheapest you'll find something of that strength. If all you want is a winch mount, consider a front receiver hitch with a tray-mount winch. Gives you a recovery point all the time, a spot for a surf-rod rack and can put on a winch when you actually need it, instead of having 100lbs sitting up there all the time.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!